Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)

MIDI output

All related information and builds for the 2025 edition.
Post Reply
SciFi9000
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2026 8:51 am

MIDI output

Post by SciFi9000 »

Hi Everyone,

I am a new builder of the H5 Rev.C5B. I have got the board working (albeit with some memory issues which are solvable).

My issue now is the MIDI out. I am using an MT32 pi hat that is verified working on an original Atari ST, however, I can't get any MIDI activity when connected to the H5 midi out port. I have soldered 2 new 5 pin DIN sockets (not harvested), but I am getting absolutely nothing from my Pi MT32 (I keep swapping the Pi MT32 back to the original Atari to be sure, and it always works on that). Has anyone got external midi working on the H5, and if so, is there any trick such as a jumper or solder bridge etc that i may be missing? I'll have a closer look at the DIN socket soldering, it looks fine, but I'll use a microscope. In the meantime, if anyone who may have got MIDI out running can give me any pointers it would be appreciated.

I tried AI but obviously it won't have any insight beyond this forum. One suggestion it made, is that the PLCC 68HC000 CPU I'm using may not be timing compatible with the MIDI timings, but that sounded like an AI guess, unless someone knows that it isn't. Cheers, Simon
Steve
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3398
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:49 am

Re: MIDI output

Post by Steve »

Just wondering what software you're using on the Atari side to send the MIDI info out?

Out of curiosity I wonder if our resident @Claude might have any ideas so solve your problem?
User avatar
PhilC
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7636
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: MIDI output

Post by PhilC »

It might be worth you checking the optocoupler orientation and type for your revision of the H5
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Post Reply

Return to “H5 C5B USER BUILDS”