Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)

H5 SIMM socket issues

All the good stuff hardware and software wise for the Phoenix H5 series motherboards.
Post Reply
SciFi9000
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2026 8:51 am

H5 SIMM socket issues

Post by SciFi9000 »

I just got a newly purchased phoenix H5 working but noticed that the SIMM socket is really flaky, sometimes it boots and sometimes it boots into a black screen with white boarder. I tried reseating the SIMM several times, but it just got worse, so i tinned the contacts on the SIMM with solder to thicken it up for better contact and that helped some, but still really flaky, more off than on.

Then i decided to just plug the module in and not clip it down, and it became stable and boot into GEM every time, but when trying to access my GOTEK, it would begin to load and then bomb or freeze. I tried all sorts of things including swapping out the DMA, and other chips but nothing helped. Then out of desperation, i set the jumpers to 2Mb instead of 4mb and that solved everything, everything works, the GOTEK loads and everything runs. No matter what i do, no matter how hard i plug in the SIMM module, I can't get it to be stable (read the GOTEK) when set to 4Mb.

Is anyone else having issues with the SIMM slot? I don't know if it's just the slot or the memory as well. For now, I have it stable by leaving the memory set at 2Mb and the sim not locked down. This is a brand-new board, and I only just got it running,. it shouldn't have this Issue.
User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 29222
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: H5 SIMM socket issues

Post by exxos »

Are you sure it's not bad connections on the MMU or ram jumpers? Those sockets are new branded 3M sockets so they unlikely to be bad. Doing ram test on a diagnostic cartridge will help. Also have you correctly set all the jumpers around the board and blitter area? Some are easily missed. I suggest stop bashing the simm socket around as you may cause damage just by doing that.
Post Reply

Return to “PHOENIX ZONE”