I have just received a PAK68/3 and its PuSTE buffer board.
Let's have a look at it:
50 Mhz CPU and 50 Mhz FPU, cool... :D
Some very thin bodge wires on the back of the beast.
Scratches on the PCB...
A very bad repair is visible on a trace. :x I will have to fix that...
Straightening the pins on the back of the PuSTE was a real pain in the a..e, but this tedious job is finally done.
Now they align quite well with PLCC socket pins, but I do not like this way of connecting as it is too clumsy.
I plan to connect the PuSTE to the Atari STE with a Winslow W9305, but the task is not straightforward.
Actually, pins of the Winslow do not align with PuSTE pins, and I have to make an adapter in order to connect everything.
(And I guess Exxos' new beta booster has the same kind of pins, so it will not be possible to use the Winslow directly on it either...).
Does anybody know which footprints I should use in EasyEDA to design this adapter ? I need the Winslow W9305 one and also one for the "Insert" pins of the PuSTE. (The adapter would be similar to Exxos' "BLITTER PLCC68 FUNKY SOCKET CONVERTER" PCB).
Cheers.
What do we have here... A PAK68/3 and a PuSTE !
-
HigashiJun
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: 19 Jun 2020 07:21
- Location: Tokyo
-
DoG
- Posts: 1311
- Joined: 07 Apr 2018 12:26
Re: What do we have here... A PAK68/3 and a PuSTE !
These pins is designed to sit behind the pins in the plcc socket. exxos to I think.
So you have to design your own footprint if not anyone have something ready-to-go.
EDIT: The PAK board is the older board without the fixes with UC2, C43 and R48 on board. Great board.
So you have to design your own footprint if not anyone have something ready-to-go.
EDIT: The PAK board is the older board without the fixes with UC2, C43 and R48 on board. Great board.
-
HigashiJun
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: 19 Jun 2020 07:21
- Location: Tokyo
Re: What do we have here... A PAK68/3 and a PuSTE !
Should exist somewhere...DoG wrote: 06 Feb 2021 13:30 These pins is designed to sit behind the pins in the plcc socket. exxos to I think.
So you have to design your own footprint if not anyone have something ready-to-go.
Some Atari STE IDE interfaces were plugged the same way, and also Exxos' old plug-in boosters.
For the Winslow, Alan Hourihane's Monster STE and even Rodolphe Pineau's 68020 Booster had a W9305 on the PCB.
The problem is sometimes to get the exact name of the footprint.
-
exxos
- Site Admin

- Posts: 29184
- Joined: 16 Aug 2017 23:19
- Location: UK
Re: What do we have here... A PAK68/3 and a PuSTE !
If your trying to fit headers on the outside of the plcc contacts.. Its not so simple as on the STE there are at least 3 brands of socket where the alignment is different.. Its one reason I abandond the plug in boosters..
-
HigashiJun
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: 19 Jun 2020 07:21
- Location: Tokyo
Re: What do we have here... A PAK68/3 and a PuSTE !
Yes, that is the reason I would like to make an adapter.exxos wrote: 06 Feb 2021 13:54 If your trying to fit headers on the outside of the plcc contacts.. Its not so simple as on the STE there are at least 3 brands of socket where the alignment is different.. Its one reason I abandond the plug in boosters..
A small PCB where you can insert the Winslow pins on one side and solder them and PuSTE pins on the other side.
According to picture of your new beta plug-in booster, it looks like it has the same kind of pins the PuSTE has,
I am looking for this kind of footprint.
Cheers.
-
exxos
- Site Admin

- Posts: 29184
- Joined: 16 Aug 2017 23:19
- Location: UK
Re: What do we have here... A PAK68/3 and a PuSTE !
Couldn't you just solder the pak on top of the Winslow socket, even if you had to bend the pins a bit ?
-
Steve
- Moderator

- Posts: 3390
- Joined: 15 Sep 2017 11:49
Re: What do we have here... A PAK68/3 and a PuSTE !
Are these basically just an upgraded cpu and fpu without any fast ram? Way before my time... :)
-
exxos
- Site Admin

- Posts: 29184
- Joined: 16 Aug 2017 23:19
- Location: UK
Re: What do we have here... A PAK68/3 and a PuSTE !
Yes.. But there was a fastram add on called Paula ?Steve wrote: 06 Feb 2021 14:13 Are these basically just an upgraded cpu and fpu without any fast ram? Way before my time... :)
-
frank.lukas
- Posts: 816
- Joined: 19 Jan 2018 11:52
Re: What do we have here... A PAK68/3 and a PuSTE !
Use the Google Translator -> http://www.wrsonline.de/atari_index.html
-
DoG
- Posts: 1311
- Joined: 07 Apr 2018 12:26
Re: What do we have here... A PAK68/3 and a PuSTE !
FastRAM board for PAK is called FRAK.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ClaudeBot and 4 guests