Me too!
Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)
Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
- rubber_jonnie
- Site Admin

- Posts: 15371
- Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
- Location: Essex
- Contact:
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
Nicely done.
I think I swapped the CPU in mine as well as the oscillator when I was having problems. Guess I fixed it by accident then
I think I swapped the CPU in mine as well as the oscillator when I was having problems. Guess I fixed it by accident then
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
- rubber_jonnie
- Site Admin

- Posts: 15371
- Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
- Location: Essex
- Contact:
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
Maybe, who knows as long as it worksPhilC wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 10:46 am Nicely done.
I think I swapped the CPU in mine as well as the oscillator when I was having problems. Guess I fixed it by accident then![]()
Coincidentally the FDD board now works:
The disk I have in does boot but gives an error and drops me to BASIC where if I hit F1 the loader then works and I can boot happily to the loader and pick games to boot and run.
Big leap forward but will the case fit ok with a socketed CPU? Did yours or did you not use a socket?
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
@rubber_jonnie I always fit sockets, so I would have to presume it did as I didn't really notice.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
- rubber_jonnie
- Site Admin

- Posts: 15371
- Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
- Location: Essex
- Contact:
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
Cool thanks.PhilC wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 11:21 am @rubber_jonnie I always fit sockets, so I would have to presume it did as I didn't really notice.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
- stephen_usher
- Site sponsor

- Posts: 7602
- Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm
- Location: Oxford, UK.
- Contact:
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
That almost looks like a PCB manufacturing fault.rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 10:41 am Oh, and I also found this near pin 3 of the CPU on the underside:
PXL_20261009_090725517.MACRO_FOCUS.jpg
Which explains the bodge wire on the topside going from pin 3 to the ROM port. I'll fix that later.
With respect to the CPU, if you swap it for a Z80B you can change the crystal and run at 6MHz.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
That's a good tip @stephen_usher I take it there will be game issues though?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
- stephen_usher
- Site sponsor

- Posts: 7602
- Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm
- Location: Oxford, UK.
- Contact:
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
Not really, as far as I'm aware. The system was designed to run at 6MHz by the developers from the looks of things as the chipset detects the faster clock rate and adjusts timings appropriately.PhilC wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 12:53 pm That's a good tip @stephen_usher I take it there will be game issues though?
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
- rubber_jonnie
- Site Admin

- Posts: 15371
- Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
- Location: Essex
- Contact:
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
I decided to put the bodge wire back as tracing the track along the PCB there was another similar blank space at the other end. On the off chance it was deliberate I just restored it as is.
Whilst it looks like a manufacturing error it not 100% clear.
Yes I have seen that, and thought I could at some future point use one of my clock boards and a switch to allow for alternate frequencies.stephen_usher wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 12:47 pm With respect to the CPU, if you swap it for a Z80B you can change the crystal and run at 6MHz.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
- rubber_jonnie
- Site Admin

- Posts: 15371
- Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
- Location: Essex
- Contact:
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
Hmm good to know.stephen_usher wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 1:01 pmNot really, as far as I'm aware. The system was designed to run at 6MHz by the developers from the looks of things as the chipset detects the faster clock rate and adjusts timings appropriately.PhilC wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 12:53 pm That's a good tip @stephen_usher I take it there will be game issues though?
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
