I recon I'll put the existing stuff on github during next week or so. I think it should make it trivial to add support for more cards (as trivial as graphics card drivers can be that isPhilC wrote: Wed Aug 13, 2025 8:19 am @agranlund that's good news. I was going to try and disassemble the vdi drivers at some point and have a go at doing drivers.
The middle-layer framework, which sits between STA_VDI and card specific drivers, deals with all the common boilerplate stuff so each individual driver ends up quite small. The WDC and Cirrus ones are both ~300 lines of C code and will be submitted as work-in-progress examples one can base new drivers off.
These are both leveraging the fact that we have vgabios, making the situation quite similar to SVGA in MS-DOS.
When acceleration becomes a thing the idea is that individual driver can supply an optional blit() callback of sort that does only the hardware specific stuff. To be called by that middle layer as appropriate.
The thing can be compiled to include only one specific card driver (+generic vga fallback, this is always there) or to include and probe for all of them. I haven't really decided how I want to package this up for raven yet.
Right now I'm building a monolithic one that auto detects WDC and Cirrus for SVGA support, or falls back to the failsafe VGA-only core.

