Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)

The Falcon030 Vs The Amiga1200 - Malcolm Ramage

All information is slowing being ported from AMN over to this section for preservation.
pixelpusher
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:01 pm

Re: The Falcon030 Vs The Amiga1200 - Malcolm Ramage

Post by pixelpusher »

Darklord wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 11:06 pm
pixelpusher wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 6:56 pm Biggest disadvantage of the Falcon compared to the Amiga 1200 however was its price (double of the Amiga).
Hmm, I'm not sure about this - maybe it depended on location?

When I bought my first Atari Falcon 030 it was $799.00.

Same year, when I bought an Amiga A1200 it was $599.00.

Hardly double here. That was both machines with no hard drive,
2 megs of RAM on the Amiga and 4 megs on the Falcon.

Thanks.
When I bought it from ATARI in 1992 it was 2300 DM (excluding the video adapters and special scsi cable you needed to connect to existing gear). Exclude the VAT (at that time 14%) and consider the exchange rate (you got about $0.69 per DM) and you're at $1392 for the 4 MB + 30 MB hd variant you needed to do anything with MultiTOS (and development on it). That config was already a real step back speed-wise to the TT (and at that time it was still usual to get massive speed-gains with every new generation of computer).
MegaSTEarian
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:56 pm

Re: The Falcon030 Vs The Amiga1200 - Malcolm Ramage

Post by MegaSTEarian »

alexh wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 10:03 pm
MegaSTEarian wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 9:47 pm My upgraded Amiga 1200, with an 68030 running at 28MHz with 16MB Ram is slower, when running resolutions equal to or higher than 640x480 is very slow compared to stock Falcon with 14MB RAM running the same or higher resolutions.
Possibly a software setup issue?
MegaSTEarian wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 9:47 pmI had read somewhere that the access to the Amiga 1200 chip ram is 16bit but I have not confirmed it.
CPU access to ChipRAM on A1200 is 32-bit as is Lisa the gfx chip. Some DMA devices, e.g. Blitter, Paula etc are still 16-bit
MegaSTEarian wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 9:47 pmAmiga OS or hardware has limits to partitions access which kinda block both the disk partitions size or the partitions number.
Fixed decades ago.
MegaSTEarian wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 9:47 pmThere have been new file systems able to access more than the limit (cannot recall it) and quite a few gigabytes per partition. My experience is that the file system is not working well.
Fixed decades ago. FFS with AmigaOS 3.1.4+ is much better and PFS3 or SFS even better. Today FAT32 and NTFS are also fully supported (with a custom ROM)
MegaSTEarian wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 9:47 pm Maybe my Amigas need recap.
You just need to update the software on them?

Morning. Running Amiga OS 3.2.2, roms are 3.2 though.
I installed a 32GB SSD (ide or with ide to sata), 64GB SD(following the directives and best practices), 64GB SSD. FFS is not properly reading files on the big partitions properly (file associations are lost and not registering even after re-registration). While looking around for a possible solution what I saw was mixed feedback. For some it worked flawlesssly, others like me had to use small partitions and pray a bit whenever the computer started.
User avatar
alexh
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:51 pm
Location: Oxfordshire

Re: The Falcon030 Vs The Amiga1200 - Malcolm Ramage

Post by alexh »

MegaSTEarian wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 6:54 am Running Amiga OS 3.2.2, roms are 3.2 though.
Shouldn't matter. You should have the latest FFS.
MegaSTEarian wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 6:54 am I installed a 32GB SSD (ide or with ide to sata), 64GB SD(following the directives and best practices), 64GB SSD. FFS is not properly reading files on the big partitions properly (file associations are lost and not registering even after re-registration).
Registering and re-registration are not AmigaOS terms so I don't quite understand what you mean.

I personally don't use the internal A1200 Gayle IDE interface anymore (I have a PiStorm32 lite and it's uSD HDD is 100x the A1200 IDE speed) but when I did, I'd use similar sized devices (via an IDE->SD bridge similar to this one) sometimes with the newer FFS but mainly with PFS3 AIO and I had no issues. My A1200 was not recapped.

When using the A1200 Gayle IDE interface and Kickstart 3.1 you had to set DMA MASK to 0x1FE00 when you partitioned your drive in HDToolbox to avoid a bug in the ROM. I don't know if that is fixed in 3.14+ but I always use that setting even today.
MegaSTEarian wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 6:54 amWhile looking around for a possible solution what I saw was mixed feedback. For some it worked flawlesssly, others like me had to use small partitions and pray a bit whenever the computer started.
Hardware incompatibility? The A1200 internal IDE is PIO-0 and pre-dates the official IDE spec. Some IDE adapters particularly PATA->SATA adapters were only tested on PCs and only on the last UDMA133 version of IDE spec and sometimes do not meet the spec for PIO-0. Switch to a different bridge? The majority of A1200 users that are still using onboard IDE use cheap IDE->CF bridges and branded SANDISK CF cards.

P.S. We've gone off topic, Admin - maybe move this to another thread?
Senior Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
ST,STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
User avatar
Darklord
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:41 pm
Location: Prestonsburg
Contact:

Re: The Falcon030 Vs The Amiga1200 - Malcolm Ramage

Post by Darklord »

pixelpusher wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 6:52 am When I bought it from ATARI in 1992 it was 2300 DM (excluding the video adapters and special scsi cable you needed to connect to existing gear). Exclude the VAT (at that time 14%) and consider the exchange rate (you got about $0.69 per DM) and you're at $1392 for the 4 MB + 30 MB hd variant you needed to do anything with MultiTOS (and development on it). That config was already a real step back speed-wise to the TT (and at that time it was still usual to get massive speed-gains with every new generation of computer).
So the difference was *where* you bought it then.

The $799.00 figure I posted included 4 megs of RAM but no hard drive. I believe
this was possibly a "special" from the dealer I used because other places sold the
1 meg of RAM/no HD version for $799.00.

The A1200 I bought here was only $200 less with 2 megs of RAM and also no
hard drive.

<shrugs>

I'm also curious about the "30 MB hd variant". I never saw that option here in the
US. The only options I found were no HD, 64 MB HD and 84 MB HD. IIRC, Atari did
actually upgrade the 64 MB version to 84 MB for the same prices, as time went
along (like early 1993 maybe?).

Thanks.
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
Dan1975
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri May 01, 2020 6:08 pm

Re: The Falcon030 Vs The Amiga1200 - Malcolm Ramage

Post by Dan1975 »

"Like the Falcon, initial marketing had suggested a 1MB base machine, but also like the Falcon, no actual shipped machine had this amount of memory"

My Falcon did. Wasn't long before I upgraded to 4meg though.
pixelpusher
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:01 pm

Re: The Falcon030 Vs The Amiga1200 - Malcolm Ramage

Post by pixelpusher »

Darklord wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 6:39 pm
[...]

I'm also curious about the "30 MB hd variant". I never saw that option here in the
US. The only options I found were no HD, 64 MB HD and 84 MB HD. IIRC, Atari did
actually upgrade the 64 MB version to 84 MB for the same prices, as time went
along (like early 1993 maybe?).

Thanks.
Hmm, good point (and memories might fool me with that detail, as Google tells me 65 MB was the min spec too). Would have to look into my parts bin to see if I still have the original drive (as it was replaced pretty quickly with a bigger 3rd party 2.5" IDE drive at that time).
User avatar
stephen_usher
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 7589
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm
Location: Oxford, UK.
Contact:

Re: The Falcon030 Vs The Amiga1200 - Malcolm Ramage

Post by stephen_usher »

Here's an advert from the UK for the Falcon in November 1992, so as to get a price point.

rm_92_11-57.jpg
rm_92_11-57.jpg (290.89 KiB) Not viewed yet

And here's a Silica Systems advert for the Amiga A120 from about the same time.

image67-1.jpeg
image67-1.jpeg (462.86 KiB) Not viewed yet

So, a Falcon030 with 4MB RAM and 65MB hard drive was £899.99 inc. VAT and an Amiga A1200 (020 CPU and 2MB RAM) and 85MB hard disk was £599.

A 40MHz GVP 030 accelerator with 4MB RAM would have cost £379 inc. VAT plus another £129 for the 68882.

amiga-accellerator-hard-drive_big.jpg
amiga-accellerator-hard-drive_big.jpg (317.48 KiB) Not viewed yet
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Post Reply

Return to “ATARI MUSIC NETWORK”