Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)

hobbytronics.co.uk gone.

This chat forum will appear to guests and bots. IE will appear on search engines etc. If you do not want your appearing publicly then please use the original chat forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 29192
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

hobbytronics.co.uk gone.

Post by exxos »

As mentioned year ago in this topic viewtopic.php?t=8091#p137215

I was mostly using the company to make my stencils. While the site was still up to some degree looks like they did been struggling for some years and try to get going and eventually dissolve the whole company to where the domain is completely gone now :( a shame that these companies disappear but I can also understand it running my own store with a barrage of issues knocking at your door continuously..

The point being, and even a more global point, I myself and other members of actually linked to pages on their site which are now gone. This is why I like linking to external sites at all and encourage people not to do it because external sites always vanish and it ends up breaking various topics.

What I am thinking of doing is building a link checker which will check every forum link and if the original site is gone, it checks for a copy on wayback machine and updates the post. I don't think there is any real downside to that because the link is basically broken anyway and the only source can be on the way back machine now..

Of course some people have links to their own blogs etc but even if the site is still live, and the page moves, its difficult to keep on track of it when old links are not updated.

I don't think there will be any downsides to my proposal really? It's more the information and preserving the threads integrity which is more important than anything..
Post Reply

Return to “CHAT FORUM PUBLIC”