Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)

Falcon FPGA Core now on MiSTer

Latest Atari related news.
Post Reply
Higgy
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:05 pm
Location: Somerset

Falcon FPGA Core now on MiSTer

Post by Higgy »

Hi,

I don't think this has been posted:

https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=10916

It would be nice if there is a SCSI HD Image with Falcon demos and games to see what the Falcon can do.
Someone posted a image with about 3 demos on.

I've seen here that Exxos has linked to an FTP with Falcon software. I guess I would need to use an emulator to get these files onto a HD image then put that onto the MiSTer.
User avatar
alexh
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1424
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:51 pm
Location: Oxfordshire

Re: Falcon FPGA Core now on MiSTer

Post by alexh »

Thanks for sharing. It says the chip set was verified against Hatari in Falcon mode but the description infers it is more than that. Perhaps a direct C-> HDL conversion of the Hatari logic?

I'll give it a go on Monday on my Superstation (MiSTer Clone)
Senior Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
ST,STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
ijor
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:45 pm

Re: Falcon FPGA Core now on MiSTer

Post by ijor »

Interesting, and impressive work. But to be honest, I'm not a fan of this approach. It should be the other way around. Software emulators should be based on FPGA cores. Not FPGA cores based on emulators. FPGA cores should try to reproduce the original hardware as closely as possible.

My philosophy is that an open source FPGA core reproducing legacy hardware should not only work well, it should also be an excellent preservation on how the original hardware was designed, not just how it behaved.

Still, an amazing work!
http://github.com/ijor/fx68k 68000 cycle exact FPGA core
FX CAST Cycle Accurate Atari ST core
http://pasti.fxatari.com
Kochise
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2026 2:18 pm

Re: Falcon FPGA Core now on MiSTer

Post by Kochise »

ijor wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2026 9:10 pm Not FPGA cores based on emulators. FPGA cores should try to reproduce the original hardware as closely as possible.
Aren't emulators trying to reproduce the original hardware as closely as possible ?

Chicken, egg, ...
ijor
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:45 pm

Re: Falcon FPGA Core now on MiSTer

Post by ijor »

Kochise wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 12:24 am Aren't emulators trying to reproduce the original hardware as closely as possible ?
Not exactly. That would be very inefficient.

Emulators attempt to reproduce the original behavior as perceived externally to the emulator, but typically using completely different techniques. Hardware works in parallel. Software works sequentially. Not only that, modern processors benefit from caching and locality. Software can't efficiently process such things as sound and video one cycle at a time, as the hardware does. Then, emulators typically process video one scan line at a time, or may be even one frame at a time.

FPGA on the other hand, does work in parallel. Then the design can be rather close (not exactly identical though) to the original implementation. That's why I said in my previous message that an FPGA core should be modeled based on the original internal design, not only on the external behavior (as emulator typically are).
http://github.com/ijor/fx68k 68000 cycle exact FPGA core
FX CAST Cycle Accurate Atari ST core
http://pasti.fxatari.com
Kochise
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2026 2:18 pm

Re: Falcon FPGA Core now on MiSTer

Post by Kochise »

I had this emulator in mind :

https://github.com/TomHarte/CLK
mikro
Posts: 848
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:22 pm
Location: Kosice, Slovakia
Contact:

Re: Falcon FPGA Core now on MiSTer

Post by mikro »

Well said @ijor. This is one of the reasons why I avoid MiST and its derivates: people have unrealistic expectactions what they really offer. They read "Atari/Amiga/whatever in FPGA" and almost automatically assume that it is a perfect replica of the original chipset. Which is rarely the case. So this "MiST world" lives in a bubble of its own bugs, quirks, inaccuracies, ... totally separate from emulators and most importantly, real hardware.
ijor
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:45 pm

Re: Falcon FPGA Core now on MiSTer

Post by ijor »

Kochise wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 12:57 am I had this emulator in mind :
https://github.com/TomHarte/CLK
I'm not familiar with that particular emulator so I can't comment much about it. But I'm familiar with Hatari (which is the one that this Falcon core seems to be based), and with several other emulators. Every single one I know works more or less as I described. Otherwise it would be more a simulator than an emulator, which could be accurate to the transistor level, but awfully inefficient in terms of speed.
http://github.com/ijor/fx68k 68000 cycle exact FPGA core
FX CAST Cycle Accurate Atari ST core
http://pasti.fxatari.com
Post Reply

Return to “NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS”