Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)
Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
I pinched it too, thanks 
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
- rubber_jonnie
- Site Admin

- Posts: 15350
- Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
- Location: Essex
- Contact:
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
Well this made me happy:
First boot from the FDD card, however all is not 100% happy since it seems the connections are a bit poor between the machine and the card and the slightest speck of dust landing on either makes it keel over!!! It really requires quite the alignment in order to ensure power from the FDD controller finds it's way to the Enterprise too.
However it at least proved the card and proved the Gotek connected to it.
Still no boot since that first time, definitely need to get that edge connector sorted out.
First boot from the FDD card, however all is not 100% happy since it seems the connections are a bit poor between the machine and the card and the slightest speck of dust landing on either makes it keel over!!! It really requires quite the alignment in order to ensure power from the FDD controller finds it's way to the Enterprise too.
However it at least proved the card and proved the Gotek connected to it.
Still no boot since that first time, definitely need to get that edge connector sorted out.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
- stephen_usher
- Site sponsor

- Posts: 7588
- Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm
- Location: Oxford, UK.
- Contact:
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
Yeah, the edge connector positioning is critical. Even with the case guiding it the positioning isn't foolproof.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
- rubber_jonnie
- Site Admin

- Posts: 15350
- Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
- Location: Essex
- Contact:
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
You're not wrong...stephen_usher wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 7:06 pm Yeah, the edge connector positioning is critical. Even with the case guiding it the positioning isn't foolproof.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
- rubber_jonnie
- Site Admin

- Posts: 15350
- Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
- Location: Essex
- Contact:
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
Ho hum...
Still no RAM IC, though the postie could still come.
Also, looking to see if I can find an alternative edge connector for the FDD card and it seems its 66 pin. I can find 72 pin, & 60 pin, but can I find 66?
Nope, even Ali Express is coming up empty...
Still no RAM IC, though the postie could still come.
Also, looking to see if I can find an alternative edge connector for the FDD card and it seems its 66 pin. I can find 72 pin, & 60 pin, but can I find 66?
Nope, even Ali Express is coming up empty...
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
@rubber_jonnie that edge connector was the nearest I could find, even on AliExpress.
I was hoping lining up the uncut end would help make sure it fit correctly.
I was hoping lining up the uncut end would help make sure it fit correctly.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
- rubber_jonnie
- Site Admin

- Posts: 15350
- Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
- Location: Essex
- Contact:
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
Indeed that's what I've done, however lining up the closed end puts it too far over for me, but whilst I get power OK from the FDD controller, it's only booted the once, and I have cleaned the computer edge connector and used contact cleaner.PhilC wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 3:42 pm @rubber_jonnie that edge connector was the nearest I could find, even on AliExpress.
I was hoping lining up the uncut end would help make sure it fit correctly.
Power to the Gotek is fine too, I may try another 27C256 just in case thats an issue (Like with the main ROM) as I don't even get the :dir command in basic, which is odd.
I may need to find a 1772 to try with it as I'm currently using an Ajax, and whilst it should be compatible you never know.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
Do you need a second rom? I thought it would all run off the updated motherboard one?
I've not tried mine to know one way or the other.
I've not tried mine to know one way or the other.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
- stephen_usher
- Site sponsor

- Posts: 7588
- Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm
- Location: Oxford, UK.
- Contact:
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
You will need to put EXDOS either in the ROM/RAM slot on the external PCB or in a cartridge.
I used a couple of 60 way edge connectors, cut the ends off both then cut down one to be 6 way and glued and melted it onto the 60 way. I used a razor saw to cut and then filed and sanded so that the extension piece had the correct 2.55mm spacing.
I used a couple of 60 way edge connectors, cut the ends off both then cut down one to be 6 way and glued and melted it onto the 60 way. I used a razor saw to cut and then filed and sanded so that the extension piece had the correct 2.55mm spacing.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Re: Another Egyptian Enterprise 64
Thanks for confirming @stephen_usher , I best go burn another eprom then 
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
