Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)

Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

A homemade Atari-like computer based on 68060 and various Atari ST like peripherals
User avatar
agranlund
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by agranlund »

That's enough KiCad for a while now..

Made and ordered an IDE byteswap adapter so I can continue in getting MagiC running on Raven.

byteswap.jpg
byteswap.jpg (84.76 KiB) Viewed 392 times

Stopped procrastinating about it and moved a bunch of stuff around to make space for CKBD, Ethernet stuff, and a USB hub.
(I figure it can't hurt to have an additional two USB ports on an internal header)

I'm not the biggest fan of routing so it always hurts when ripping up tracks :lol:

a2mess.jpg
a2mess.jpg (195.59 KiB) Viewed 392 times
User avatar
PhilC
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7625
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by PhilC »

@agranlund just a thought and I know you hate routing stuff.

How about two IDE headers? 1 for Rach byte swap scenario? They could be right next to each other and won't take up much real estate.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
User avatar
agranlund
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by agranlund »

PhilC wrote: Sun Jun 08, 2025 8:47 pm @agranlund just a thought and I know you hate routing stuff.

How about two IDE headers? 1 for Rach byte swap scenario? They could be right next to each other and won't take up much real estate.
I think I'll keep it as it is now. The normal case is to take advantage of EmuTOS's built in driver, and have the disk readable on both Raven and PC, so it makes sense to be optimised for that scenario in terms of speed.

I'll be able to experiment with non-emutos using the adapter. It could also be possible make a standalone driver out of EmuTOS's internal disk driver, that would solve the same thing.
User avatar
dml
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:11 pm

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by dml »

Quick question - what is the frequency of CLK2 to the 2nd MFP? Is it 2MHz divided from the 8MHz clock, or some other value?

And for CLK4?
User avatar
agranlund
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by agranlund »

dml wrote: Sat Jun 14, 2025 7:26 pm Quick question - what is the frequency of CLK2 to the 2nd MFP? Is it 2MHz divided from the 8MHz clock, or some other value?

And for CLK4?
yep, 2 and 4 mhz divided from the 8mhz can.
User avatar
agranlund
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by agranlund »

@PhilC ,

Firmware binary and some instructions for the USB Eiffel replacement can be found here:
https://github.com/agranlund/raven/tree/main/fw/ckbd

(for this hardware addon)
https://github.com/agranlund/raven/tree ... rades/ckbd

Not everything has been tested, or implemented, in terms of IKBD compatibility but desktop use is working here. I'm sure we'll find and fix incompatibilities as more unusual ikbd modes are tested.

The EiffelCF program can be used for the normal settings but extended stuff (*) will need some new program to be written or perhaps extending EiffelCF.
For now, the Raven monitor can be used to update firmware or change any setting but in a non user-friendly way.
(*) individual scaling for USB, PS2 and Legacy mice. To select Amiga instead of Atari legacy mouse etc.


The ckbd firmware binary is supposed to be in the release package but I haven't gotten around to rebuilding one -- for now it can be grabbed directly from the ckbd folder on github.
Later versions of the raven rom auto-negotiates a higher baud rate when detecting ckbd instead of eiffel so that too goes "live" when I rebuild the release package.
User avatar
PhilC
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7625
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by PhilC »

Cool, thanks @agranlund. Typical you send it after I reassembled my Raven again :p

I'll get some boards ordered and built but will leave the soldering mods for the next time I take it out it's case again.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
peters
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:44 pm

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by peters »

I know pci was left out for good reason but would a CTpci solution work ?
User avatar
agranlund
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by agranlund »

PhilC wrote: Thu Jun 19, 2025 3:43 pm will leave the soldering mods for the next time I take it out it's case again.
Haha, same here! I still haven't done those to mine - it's a bit of a project removing the board from the case :)
User avatar
agranlund
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by agranlund »

peters wrote: Thu Jun 19, 2025 3:51 pm I know pci was left out for good reason but would a CTpci solution work ?
Anything could work as long as someone is interested in it enough to put the work in I suppose :)
A CT60 compatible expansion port is not a bad idea in itself and you could maybe get a ctpci working that way.

It would certainly be fun to do something more elaborate on a Revision B model but to be honest this one does exactly what it set out to do and provides more than enough fun for me. I recon it will be a long while until I feel the urge to do a larger kind of redesign. In that case I'm leaning more towards a VLB slot but who knows.
Post Reply

Return to “RAVEN 060 - A homemade Atari-like computer”