Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)
Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
You can use static memory simm modules. They are compatible.
So no dynamic memory so no… only the special ones…
So no dynamic memory so no… only the special ones…
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
I often boot to a pretty bare EmuTOS setup when programming bios or driver related things, or when I anticipate needing many and quick reboots -- which to be fair is most of the time 
My weapon of choice for file transfers without MiNT has been ParcpUSB which gives pretty good transfer speeds on both Raven and the ST, but there's now a version of uip-tools for RTL8019 ISA network cards which is many times faster still.
You can find it as "raven/drivers/ne2000/uip.tos"
I had some issues building the http server and since I don't have much interest in that anyway this one is built as an ftp server only.
I've tested it in both DHCP and STATIC ip address mode sending files back and forth.
(for completeness sake I will take another stab at getting the http server stuff building on Mac at some point)
My weapon of choice for file transfers without MiNT has been ParcpUSB which gives pretty good transfer speeds on both Raven and the ST, but there's now a version of uip-tools for RTL8019 ISA network cards which is many times faster still.
You can find it as "raven/drivers/ne2000/uip.tos"
I had some issues building the http server and since I don't have much interest in that anyway this one is built as an ftp server only.
I've tested it in both DHCP and STATIC ip address mode sending files back and forth.
(for completeness sake I will take another stab at getting the http server stuff building on Mac at some point)
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
I have been hoping that UIP would get some love. Unfortunately, I cannot get it to run under either EmuTOS or FreeMint. I can ping 8.8.8.8 from both OS boots so network card is running and has an RTL8019 chip. Am I missing something that needs loading first?agranlund wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2025 10:54 pm I often boot to a pretty bare EmuTOS setup when programming bios or driver related things, or when I anticipate needing many and quick reboots -- which to be fair is most of the time
My weapon of choice for file transfers without MiNT has been ParcpUSB which gives pretty good transfer speeds on both Raven and the ST, but there's now a version of uip-tools for RTL8019 ISA network cards which is many times faster still.
You can find it as "raven/drivers/ne2000/uip.tos"
I had some issues building the http server and since I don't have much interest in that anyway this one is built as an ftp server only.
I've tested it in both DHCP and STATIC ip address mode sending files back and forth.
(for completeness sake I will take another stab at getting the http server stuff building on Mac at some point)
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
I think it’s opposite of that
”MiNT and STING/STiK will be detected and uiptool will ABORT if present.”
( https://bitbucket.org/sqward/uip-tools/ ... /README.md )
The program is completely self contained with its own tiny tcp/ip stack and hardware driver so having another real one running would perhaps conflict in all kinds of ways?
It’s pretty amazing to get an ftp server that has no additional requirements and in <40 kb.
I usually use an ftp client to grab files when in Mint but I’m sure there’s got to be a server also, and likewise for stik/sting under tos?
One of these days I need to setup and learn sting
-
artik-wroc
- Posts: 19
- Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:24 am
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Where can I download the ready-made. The sources that are on github won't compile for meagranlund wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2025 10:54 pm ...but there's now a version of uip-tools for RTL8019 ISA network cards which is many times faster still.
Code: Select all
undefined reference to `___builtin_bswap16Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Ah, you can grab the binaries for everything from the release package:artik-wroc wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2025 8:21 amWhere can I download the ready-made. The sources that are on github won't compile for meagranlund wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2025 10:54 pm ...but there's now a version of uip-tools for RTL8019 ISA network cards which is many times faster still.![]()
Code: Select all
undefined reference to `___builtin_bswap16
https://github.com/agranlund/raven/rele ... .A1.latest
If building from source you might need a later version of gcc than the one you've got installed.
I'm using 13.3.0 from Thorsten Otto here
But thanks for bringing that issue up! I should probably make sure everything can build with the more common (?) 4.6.4 as well.
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Thanks. Been a while since running UIP and you are correct. Just booted EmuTOS without Sting and ran UIP and success. Remotely connected from FileZilla FTP.agranlund wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2025 8:07 amI think it’s opposite of that
”MiNT and STING/STiK will be detected and uiptool will ABORT if present.”
( https://bitbucket.org/sqward/uip-tools/ ... /README.md )
The program is completely self contained with its own tiny tcp/ip stack and hardware driver so having another real one running would perhaps conflict in all kinds of ways?
It’s pretty amazing to get an ftp server that has no additional requirements and in <40 kb.
I usually use an ftp client to grab files when in Mint but I’m sure there’s got to be a server also, and likewise for stik/sting under tos?
One of these days I need to setup and learn sting![]()
Thank you. I can now use FTP transfer.
-
artik-wroc
- Posts: 19
- Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:24 am
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Indeed, I am using an older version.agranlund wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2025 8:29 am But thanks for bringing that issue up! I should probably make sure everything can build with the more common (?) 4.6.4 as well.
Unfortunately, I was unable to use uIPtool on other computers:
- Hades, starts as if everything was OK, but there is no connection. although ping from the PC side works.
- Panther, starts although it shows the error "configuration file malformed!". Probably because the card has jumpers.
On Panther there is a version that works with GAL Mach32, but on Hades uIPtool would be very useful.
Is the card address taken from ISA_BIOS?
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
As far as I can tell in the code, "configuration file malformed" comes up if something is wrong with "uip.cfg", or more exactly if there isn't exactly 15 values in the file. The file is probably in the root of your boot drive, or at least, that's where it created it for me.artik-wroc wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2025 10:45 am Unfortunately, I was unable to use uIPtool on other computers:
- Hades, starts as if everything was OK, but there is no connection. although ping from the PC side works.
- Panther, starts although it shows the error "configuration file malformed!". Probably because the card has jumpers.
Perhaps try to delete it so that it is recreated?
I also noticed the binary in the release package was built for 68020-60. Next upload will be built for 68000 but for now here's one zipped in case that is the problem:
Interesting that it replies to ping properly but doesn't connect on Hades. I wouldn't think so but out of curiosity, is there any difference at all if you use dhcp or static mode (F1 toggles, but if you use static you need to edit uip.cfg for your particular network setup)
Is port 21 perhaps blocked on your network or do you already know that FTP works ok on your network?
The docs says you need to connect in passive mode but perhaps you're not even getting that far?
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
artik-wroc wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2025 10:45 am On Panther there is a version that works with GAL Mach32, but on Hades uIPtool would be very useful.
Is the card address taken from ISA_BIOS?
It's hardcoded for port 300 at the moment.
That's usually the default and the MiNT etherne driver borrowed from Hades was hardcoded to that port so it made sense to follow suit for now.
I'd like to improve both of them sometime though and have them ask isabios to find a compatible card by PNPid.
The base IO address for the bus is indeed gotten from ISA_BIOS though, and failing that it knows it for a few existing machines itself;
Hades: 0xFFF30000, Milan: 0xC0000000, Raven: 0x81000000, Panther: needs C__P2I cookie since it's completely wild west territory
In theory, I think I could make ISA_BIOS guess the I/O base for Panther or Panther-like scenarios even without that cookie, if it probes for and detects the gfxcard it could figure out the base address for the bus.
The theoretical intent was that it, just like for PCI_BIOS, falls on the maker of a hardware platform to provide an implementation of it so that programs using the API will "just work" regardless of current or future hardware.
In reality that will of course never happen so I'm quite happy making Ravens standalone ISA_BIOS implementation work on other machines too and support at least the core stuff on the other ones.
When I'll get to adding hardware abstraction for things like setting up IRQ callbacks and such I'm only going to be able to do those kinds of implementations for Raven though.
I'm still not 100% sure about ISA_BIOS in general and if I should just drop it and make a PCI_BIOS implementation for Raven instead -- handing the ISA stuff. The PCI_BIOS design intent mentions ISA and the API itself is fairly suitable for both, though might need some extension specific for ISA especially in terms of card configuration.
