Hi,
Before „driving home for Christmas“ (RIP Chris Rea) I made some progress with my CD adventure…
After crimping lots of cables and fighting with 44/40p adapters of various kinds (some of them mirroring odd and even pins :shock: )
I managed to
A) create an Atari TOS formatted CF (using HDDRIVER) and copying the whole SW from CF1 (FAT16) to CF2 (TOS) inside the Raven.
Surprisingly this worked…
B) then successfully connect the TOS formatted CF as master, and ATAPI CD ROM as slave on the IDE bus
But…
1) Extendos is not finding the IDE bus during its installation (using plain EmuTOS)
I had to run HDDRIVER, then I could install Extendos, finding the bus and finding the CD on the bus
2) system is crashing (black screen) when booting with HDDRIVER and Extendos
And again I found that somehow the IDE devices are mirrored on the bus. At least HDDRIVER is finding the two devices on IDE0/1and same on IDE2/3, 4/5 and 6/7 (see attached picture)
This also happened with the two CF cards (see above) but did not prevent from using them.
@agranlund any idea if this might be a bug (or a feature)?
I don’t think it is a good idea to have EmuTOS IDE driver and HDDRIVER running in parallel…
If Extendos is generally working with EmuTOS or not - no idea.
Maybe I can tweak one of my other Ataris, e.g. the one with Lightning IDE, to connect a CD ROM and check this with EmuTOS
Edit: EmuTOS should support Extendos, if CONF_WITH_SCSI_DRIVER is set to 1 during build. Not sure if this is the case for the Raven
See here https://tho-otto.de/emutos/
LarryL - another Raven060 Adventure
-
LarryL
- Site sponsor

- Posts: 246
- Joined: 20 Nov 2022 14:42
- Location: Germany
-
redpixel
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 18 Jun 2023 20:57
Re: LarryL - another Raven060 Adventure
Maybe it would be worth trying with the latest version of HDDRIVER? I noticed the following in the changelog:LarryL wrote: 22 Dec 2025 18:28 And again I found that somehow the IDE devices are mirrored on the bus. At least HDDRIVER is finding the two devices on IDE0/1and same on IDE2/3, 4/5 and 6/7 (see attached picture)
This also happened with the two CF cards (see above) but did not prevent from using them.
The main changes since HDDRIVER 11
...
HDDRIVER: More intelligent detection of IDE extensions: Mirrored IDE ports (duplicated devices) should not occur anymore.
-
LarryL
- Site sponsor

- Posts: 246
- Joined: 20 Nov 2022 14:42
- Location: Germany
Re: LarryL - another Raven060 Adventure
Ah, good point.thanks!redpixel wrote: 22 Dec 2025 19:09Maybe it would be worth trying with the latest version of HDDRIVER? I noticed the following in the changelog:LarryL wrote: 22 Dec 2025 18:28 And again I found that somehow the IDE devices are mirrored on the bus. At least HDDRIVER is finding the two devices on IDE0/1and same on IDE2/3, 4/5 and 6/7 (see attached picture)
This also happened with the two CF cards (see above) but did not prevent from using them.
The main changes since HDDRIVER 11
...
HDDRIVER: More intelligent detection of IDE extensions: Mirrored IDE ports (duplicated devices) should not occur anymore.
Unfortunately my 11.13 copy seems to be corrupt… TOS error #35 when I open HDDRUTIL
Need to extract it again from the floppy image I have
…and maybe I have to learn how to build a custom ROM with a custom EmuTOS version :mrgreen:
-
redpixel
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 18 Jun 2023 20:57
Re: LarryL - another Raven060 Adventure
Unfortunately this change was made in version 12, so maybe you have to pay the upgrade fee also :P But I don't think it's so expensive going from 11 -> 12. I'm in the same boat, should probably also upgrade.LarryL wrote: 22 Dec 2025 19:14 Unfortunately my 11.13 copy seems to be corrupt… TOS error #35 when I open HDDRUTIL
Need to extract it again from the floppy image I have
…and maybe I have to learn how to build a custom ROM with a custom EmuTOS version :mrgreen:
Building a custom ROM does sound exciting and useful!
-
LarryL
- Site sponsor

- Posts: 246
- Joined: 20 Nov 2022 14:42
- Location: Germany
Re: LarryL - another Raven060 Adventure
Ok, will get rel 12 for Christmas :D
Edit: EUR 12,- that’s Ok, already purchased…
What readme(s) do I need to digest, to understand how to cross compile and built a custom ROM?
Edit: EUR 12,- that’s Ok, already purchased…
What readme(s) do I need to digest, to understand how to cross compile and built a custom ROM?
-
agranlund
- Site sponsor

- Posts: 1773
- Joined: 18 Aug 2019 22:43
- Location: Sweden
Re: LarryL - another Raven060 Adventure
Raven does lazy/incomplete decoding of these and devices will end up repeating as you scan through the bus.LarryL wrote: 22 Dec 2025 18:28 And again I found that somehow the IDE devices are mirrored on the bus. At least HDDRIVER is finding the two devices on IDE0/1and same on IDE2/3, 4/5 and 6/7 (see attached picture)
EmuTOS detects when devices starts repeating and stops scanning but I'm not sure HDDriver does that.
For HDDriver I usually set a manual limit on how many IDE devices to scan in "Settings -> Devices and Partitions", to match the actual number of devices I have.
Yeah I'd be scared about doing that too.I don’t think it is a good idea to have EmuTOS IDE driver and HDDRIVER running in parallel…
Oh, well spotted sir!Edit: EmuTOS should support Extendos, if CONF_WITH_SCSI_DRIVER is set to 1 during build. Not sure if this is the case for the Raven
Here is a rom attached that was built with CONF_WITH_SCSI_DRIVER set to 1 :)
Not that I would discourage from getting compilers and such set up and having a go at building Raven roms and/or software yourself :)
The things have only been built on MacOS systems by myself and others as far as I'm aware.
Linux is generally similar enough so I would assume it to be fairly painless on that too.
-
agranlund
- Site sponsor

- Posts: 1773
- Joined: 18 Aug 2019 22:43
- Location: Sweden
Re: LarryL - another Raven060 Adventure
The rom is the one that needs _all_ the compilers set up and working properly, so when you can build the rom you should be able to build anything in the Raven sourcetree :)LarryL wrote: 22 Dec 2025 19:24 What readme(s) do I need to digest, to understand how to cross compile and built a custom ROM?
With everything setup you should be able to simply go to the sw/rom/ folder and run make.
That will build the three different parts:
a) Bootrom (mon)
b) EmuTOS
c) Romdisk (this involves compiling a couple of Atari programs that goes into the romdisk)
You will need a couple of compilers installed in your system:
* some native gcc for your computer, used to build misc tools
* m68k-atari-mint-gcc for building EmuTOS (I use version 13.3.0)
(https://tho-otto.de/crossmint.php)
* m68k-atari-mintelf-gcc for building Bootrom (I use version 14.2.0)
(https://tho-otto.de/crossmint.php)
* PureC crosscompiler to build some of the software that goes into the romdisk
(check readme in sw/purec/ as there is some prep to 'install' it)
-
LarryL
- Site sponsor

- Posts: 246
- Joined: 20 Nov 2022 14:42
- Location: Germany
Re: LarryL - another Raven060 Adventure
excellent! this made Extendos work (as well as HDDRUTIL)agranlund wrote: 22 Dec 2025 19:44 Oh, well spotted sir!
Here is a rom attached that was built with CONF_WITH_SCSI_DRIVER set to 1 :)
Many thanks for the fast provision of the new ROM :-)
But: this broke Nova... Only get the message "STA_VDI not found" during boot - for any selected driver, except DEFAULT.
DEFAULT brings me to a b/w desktop - but this let me test Extendos
Edit: Going back to the original ROM brings back the working Nova setup
-
LarryL
- Site sponsor

- Posts: 246
- Joined: 20 Nov 2022 14:42
- Location: Germany
Re: LarryL - another Raven060 Adventure
Lots of info, thanks!agranlund wrote: 22 Dec 2025 20:14The rom is the one that needs _all_ the compilers set up and working properly, so when you can build the rom you should be able to build anything in the Raven sourcetree :)LarryL wrote: 22 Dec 2025 19:24 What readme(s) do I need to digest, to understand how to cross compile and built a custom ROM?
With everything setup you should be able to simply go to the sw/rom/ folder and run make.
That will build the three different parts:
a) Bootrom (mon)
b) EmuTOS
c) Romdisk (this involves compiling a couple of Atari programs that goes into the romdisk)
You will need a couple of compilers installed in your system:
* some native gcc for your computer, used to build misc tools
* m68k-atari-mint-gcc for building EmuTOS (I use version 13.3.0)
(https://tho-otto.de/crossmint.php)
* m68k-atari-mintelf-gcc for building Bootrom (I use version 14.2.0)
(https://tho-otto.de/crossmint.php)
* PureC crosscompiler to build some of the software that goes into the romdisk
(check readme in sw/purec/ as there is some prep to 'install' it)
I am also working with MacOS (newest version, apple silicon M2), so I will give it a try during Christmas…
-
agranlund
- Site sponsor

- Posts: 1773
- Joined: 18 Aug 2019 22:43
- Location: Sweden
Re: LarryL - another Raven060 Adventure
Where you already on release package 20251214 or later, or something earlier?LarryL wrote: 22 Dec 2025 21:56 But: this broke Nova... Only get the message "STA_VDI not found" during boot - for any selected driver, except DEFAULT.
DEFAULT brings me to a b/w desktop - but this let me test Extendos
Edit: Going back to the original ROM brings back the working Nova setup
Some Nova driver compatibility related stuff was moved from rom and into rvnova.prg in 20251214 so I'm wondering if maybe you are on a version of rvnova.prg which is older than that?
(the rom I built should be identical to the one in 20251215 but with the addition of CONF_WITH_SCSI_DRIVER)
edit: to clarify, that rom is working here with Nova (tested with the ET4000/W32i driver)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: ClaudeBot and 2 guests