agranlund wrote: Mon Feb 16, 2026 10:32 pm
Voodoo2.. was that still 3D only and you hooked it up to an existing 2D card? Or was that only on Voodoo1?
My first 3D accelerator was the Voodoo3. Such a huge upgrade from having played everything with software rendering up until then!
Yeah. Offically, the Voodoo I and Voodoo II were 3D only.
(There was a Voodoo I with a 2D video card hammered on to the PCB, but, it was still a separate card, really)
The Voodoo Banshee and Voodoo 3 were the only 2D + 3D cards, officially, from what I remember.
And their silly external video cable
The Voodoo 3 must have been a massive jump.... Almost felt like travelling into the future!
I played Max Payne with mine. Got it the weekend of release, finished it in those two days.
Good times!!
I had a Voodoo 3, 3500. It was an overclocked 3000, but, had a TV tuner, and video capture.
I still have the massive big blue cable.
I miss that card a lot. Drivers were a pain, but, when it worked, it sang!
agranlund wrote: Mon Feb 16, 2026 10:32 pm
Speaking of Matrox, now this is a horrible card I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the ISA variant of:
https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/Manufa ... lus220.php
Perhaps the first consumer 3d accelerator (?) and probably the only one that had a version for ISA bus.
It can only do gouraud shading and has no support for texture mapping
I'm cynically assuming it's dog-slow too and I doubt there were many programs ending up supporting that card
I dunno, it might not be as bad a performer as you think.
I'm not sure I've ever seen the MGA Impression as an ISA card. VLB, sure. Not ISA though.
I see there's *some* kind of Impression, ISA, on ebay atm. two and a half grand...

Good luck fella!
Everyone absolutely slated the Mystique (220), but, that was OK.
I played Tomb Raider, and a couple of other games with it, and, while not as fast as a voodoo, it was a whole lot better than software only!
Man, I miss Matrox. (50th anniversary this year!)
I always wanted a Rainbow Runner for my Mystique 220.
Just because it was so *cool*
