Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)
Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
AROS on Atari/Raven would be interesting, but I wouldn't expect much.
Many Amiga applications use hardware registers directly, and expect specific Amiga hardware like copper, sound dma, blitter interrupts etc. Also Amiga hardware does not support Supervisor/User privilege modes, so applications and OS do not either. You can write to any hardware register in user mode as well as to protected addresses like $0.
But maybe @agranlund could adopt Castaway to this somehow.
Many Amiga applications use hardware registers directly, and expect specific Amiga hardware like copper, sound dma, blitter interrupts etc. Also Amiga hardware does not support Supervisor/User privilege modes, so applications and OS do not either. You can write to any hardware register in user mode as well as to protected addresses like $0.
But maybe @agranlund could adopt Castaway to this somehow.
Atari V4sa / Lynx I / Mega ST 1 / 7800 / Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM146 / SM124 / SC1435
Antonia 2 / ATW800/2 / SidecarTridge / ACSI2STM / Mach64 VME / Mach32 VME / ET4000 VME / Atari 1050 / DDD HDD / AT Speed C16 / TF536 / SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
http://260ste.atari.org
Antonia 2 / ATW800/2 / SidecarTridge / ACSI2STM / Mach64 VME / Mach32 VME / ET4000 VME / Atari 1050 / DDD HDD / AT Speed C16 / TF536 / SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
http://260ste.atari.org
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
I agree, expecting it to be something like an emulator that can run fun software would end up in dissapointment.Cyprian wrote: Wed Feb 11, 2026 10:50 pm AROS on Atari/Raven would be interesting, but I wouldn't expect much.
Many Amiga applications use hardware registers directly, and expect specific Amiga hardware like copper, sound dma, blitter interrupts etc. Also Amiga hardware does not support Supervisor/User privilege modes, so applications and OS do not either. You can write to any hardware register in user mode as well as to protected addresses like $0.
But maybe @agranlund could adopt Castaway to this somehow.
But it would still be interesting in the way EmuTOS on Amiga is interesting
As you said, any program expecting Amiga hardware would fail, same as if a GEM program expected Atari hardware under EmuTOS-Amiga.
Perhaps binary compatibility with some OS clean programs. Or at the very least very high source-level compatibility.
ExecBase always expected to live at address $4 wouldn't be a problem if one was ok with such Aros port requiring an MMU to circumvent that address being ROM on Atari.
Which is maybe fair, I think Aros-Amiga68k requires a fairly beefy 68k anyway to be usable?
With MMU you could also do hypervising to a degree, or as a way to protect hardware registers, but at some point I at least think that stops making sense and an emulator is a better choice -- if what you wanted was an emulator for running Amiga stuff, not an alternative OS that is source-level compatible with (some) Amiga stuff
EmuTOS has been used for some homebrew 68k computers needing an OS. Haven't seen Aros68k used in the same way, perhaps it's more of a beast to port.
-
Mikerochip
- Posts: 87
- Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:38 pm
- Location: Ireland
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Last time I checked (and before the Apollo/Vampire fellas got involved, and forked it) Aros68K was unusable, really, on a 68K machine.
IDE was dog slow. (about floppy drive speed, if memory serves).
I vaguely recall though, talk of a patch though....
It might be an open source Amiga OS, but, it's nowhere near EmuTOS level of usability or compatibility.
(Or wasn't, anyhow)
IDE was dog slow. (about floppy drive speed, if memory serves).
I vaguely recall though, talk of a patch though....
It might be an open source Amiga OS, but, it's nowhere near EmuTOS level of usability or compatibility.
(Or wasn't, anyhow)
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Ah, didn't know thatMikerochip wrote: Thu Feb 12, 2026 11:31 am Last time I checked (and before the Apollo/Vampire fellas got involved, and forked it) Aros68K was unusable, really, on a 68K machine.
IDE was dog slow. (about floppy drive speed, if memory serves).
I vaguely recall though, talk of a patch though....
It might be an open source Amiga OS, but, it's nowhere near EmuTOS level of usability or compatibility.
(Or wasn't, anyhow)
I've only used the Apollo fork on a Vampire (and the x86 version a long time ago)
-
Mikerochip
- Posts: 87
- Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:38 pm
- Location: Ireland
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
As a matter of interest, do you know if the Apollo fellas do upstream patches?
I'm not really an Amiga fan, but, I do have an A2000/500/600/1200. Because.... Reasons
I'm not really an Amiga fan, but, I do have an A2000/500/600/1200. Because.... Reasons
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
A dx2 Blasphemy? No it’s heresy… Heretic i mean and Doom.
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
I've "run" UAE under Basilisk on an 030 Falcon...
BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Multiple nested emulators
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Updated release package, these are the recent changes:
I would upgrade these:
There's not that much changed in EmuTOS since last time. Mainly looks like fixes for playing nice when multiple disk drivers are active at the same time and in charge of different drives.
For now c:\rvga.inf doesn't contain very much but there is an mclk setting under the Cirrus section that can be fun to play with (@Atarian Computing )
Some vgabios can be quite conservative by default and my GD5434 can be overclocked to $2c before starting to poop pixels on the screen.
I saw that old Xfree86 mentions clocking up the '34 to $22 by default so I'm assuming most of them should handle at least that -- but our driver just leaves it at whatever the vgabios wanted unless you specifically set it to something in rvga.inf
Code: Select all
20260215:
rvnova: added settings file
rvbios: updated nova settings panel
20260213:
rom: updated EmuTOS (#65a71f3 @ 20260202)
rvnova: better 1280x720x8bpp quality on Cirrus
20260209:
rvnova: 1280x720x8bpp for Cirrus and WDC
- either delete and replace entire c:\nova folder or:
- delete c:\nova\default
- update c:\nova\svga
- update c:\auto\rvnova.prg
- update c:\auto\rvbios.prg
- delete c:\auto\xmenu.inf
- update c:\rvga.inf
There's not that much changed in EmuTOS since last time. Mainly looks like fixes for playing nice when multiple disk drivers are active at the same time and in charge of different drives.
For now c:\rvga.inf doesn't contain very much but there is an mclk setting under the Cirrus section that can be fun to play with (@Atarian Computing )
Some vgabios can be quite conservative by default and my GD5434 can be overclocked to $2c before starting to poop pixels on the screen.
I saw that old Xfree86 mentions clocking up the '34 to $22 by default so I'm assuming most of them should handle at least that -- but our driver just leaves it at whatever the vgabios wanted unless you specifically set it to something in rvga.inf
-
Atarian Computing
- Posts: 583
- Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:27 am
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Oh! Very cool. I played around with it and turns out that my initial clock was less than $1c it seems as the following shot show some gains at $1c compared to previous stock.agranlund wrote: Sun Feb 15, 2026 9:09 am For now c:\rvga.inf doesn't contain very much but there is an mclk setting under the Cirrus section that can be fun to play with (@Atarian Computing )
Some vgabios can be quite conservative by default and my GD5434 can be overclocked to $2c before starting to poop pixels on the screen.
I saw that old Xfree86 mentions clocking up the '34 to $22 by default so I'm assuming most of them should handle at least that -- but our driver just leaves it at whatever the vgabios wanted unless you specifically set it to something in rvga.inf
Looks like $22 is the max my card can do without artefacts (that I can see so far).
This is exciting. Can't wait for what's next.

