Hmmn, that looks like it could be something caused by the bank-switch code not working as intended.
I tested that stuff on my GD5426 and perhaps there are differences between the models that I did not know about and take into account.
Hmmn, that looks like it could be something caused by the bank-switch code not working as intended.
Did some benchmarks on my dx2. The Isa cards perform similar although the et4000 cards seem to have 1 or 2 fps more in Doom (Max screen) VS the gd542x cards or mach.agranlund wrote: Tue Feb 10, 2026 10:45 am Keep in mind that blitter and other hardware 2D acceleration features didn't appear until GD5426.
But the older GD542x cards were still good MS-DOS performers so in the context of Atari they're probably as good a pick.
Yeah absolutely! VLB was a huge upgrade for MS-DOS gaming.Oldskool wrote: Wed Feb 11, 2026 11:00 am Did some benchmarks on my dx2. The Isa cards perform similar although the et4000 cards seem to have 1 or 2 fps more in Doom (Max screen) VS the gd542x cards or mach.
Performance seems to max out in the range of 16-18 fps. On a vlb gd542x I almost reach the max of the game at about 30fps. Some benchmarks show a 2x.
I can imagine for pure dos that et4000 is king on the isa bus although the isa bus is severly bottlenecking performance on the dx2. (And Raven)
I believe ID went away from the planar stuff by the time of Quake, or maybe even Hereic, where it no longer made sense to trade higher bus cost for lower cpu or ram cost.In FastDoom, Mode 13h uses a single framebuffer in RAM, which is copied to VRAM after the entire scene is rendered.
I use ET4000 (Nova interface and Idek's drivers) in my Mega STE and booting time is acceptable.agranlund wrote: Tue Feb 10, 2026 9:43 pm Backporting is probably not advisable since it relies on running the x86 vgabios and that's a bit of a dealbreaker on a stock 68000.
Blasphemy!!agranlund wrote: Wed Feb 11, 2026 1:25 pm Also.. your talks of dx2 really makes me want to build one
For some MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 fun!
I hear Aros is open source, cross platform, and builds for 68k Amiga.. hint hint
Oh if only I had that sort of programming skills.agranlund wrote: Wed Feb 11, 2026 7:31 pmI hear Aros is open source, cross platform, and builds for 68k Amiga.. hint hint
I’m not strong enough to tackle such a beast but wouldn’t it be pretty cool to ”steal” their OS. They have EmuTOS on the Amiga after all.