Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)

Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

A homemade Atari-like computer based on 68060 and various Atari ST like peripherals
LarryL
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:42 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by LarryL »

agranlund wrote: Wed Jan 28, 2026 10:56 pm
Though if I ditch one of the CF sockets, or make the board larger, I suppose I could use whatever.
sounds great!
maybe put one of the CF sockets on the back of the PCB?
User avatar
agranlund
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by agranlund »

LarryL wrote: Thu Jan 29, 2026 8:29 am maybe put one of the CF sockets on the back of the PCB?
That's not a bad idea! or some of the IC's maybe.

Sort of starting to work in TOS now.
Some features are still missing, and error detection + handling needs improvement for sure.

But it's really cool being able to read my old Atari disk :)



I feel I need to make Castaway able to pass-through floppy access to the host hardware now.
Then I could play Defender of the Crown, using my old original disks, on Raven :D
Atarian Computing
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:27 am

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by Atarian Computing »

agranlund wrote: Fri Jan 30, 2026 10:42 pm
LarryL wrote: Thu Jan 29, 2026 8:29 am maybe put one of the CF sockets on the back of the PCB?
That's not a bad idea! or some of the IC's maybe.

Sort of starting to work in TOS now.
Some features are still missing, and error detection + handling needs improvement for sure.

But it's really cool being able to read my old Atari disk :)



I feel I need to make Castaway able to pass-through floppy access to the host hardware now.
Then I could play Defender of the Crown, using my old original disks, on Raven :D
Purely amazing! Can't wait!!!
User avatar
kodak80
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:14 am

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by kodak80 »

CD drives confirmed working, Floppy disks a WIP, I am going to have to change from my light filled glass case to something that can hold these drives.

This is looking great.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
LarryL
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:42 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by LarryL »

kodak80 wrote: Sat Jan 31, 2026 8:35 am CD drives confirmed working, Floppy disks a WIP, I am going to have to change from my light filled glass case to something that can hold these drives.

This is looking great.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Indeed!
I can recommend the Fractal Design Pop Mini RGB
There you can keep RGB and glass and have as well two 5.25 drive bays at the bottom. A magnetic panel hides these bays

IMG_4721.jpeg
IMG_4721.jpeg (466.22 KiB) Viewed 888 times
IMG_4722.jpeg
IMG_4722.jpeg (477.6 KiB) Viewed 888 times
Last edited by exxos on Sat Sep 26, 2026 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spacing around attachments corrected
User avatar
agranlund
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by agranlund »

I think the floppy driver can be considered beta so I made it part of the release packages.
Can be found in "software/raven/drivers/fdc"

It's currently operating in read-only mode.

(I want to do more write testing before having it enabled. And also implement the formatting stuff)
User avatar
agranlund
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by agranlund »

Added blitter support for WD90C33

Performance is quite similar to the '31 variant.
It does have a couple of extra features such as hardware accelerated lines and triangles so that could be fun adding to the driver some day.

Screenshot 2026-02-08 02-21-01.png
Screenshot 2026-02-08 02-21-01.png (201.37 KiB) Viewed 693 times
wd90c33.jpg
wd90c33.jpg (325.97 KiB) Viewed 693 times
Mikerochip
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:38 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by Mikerochip »

It's almost time we had a chart!!

You've added so many different cards now :O
(Impressive!!)
User avatar
agranlund
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:43 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by agranlund »

Mikerochip wrote: Sun Feb 08, 2026 3:04 pm It's almost time we had a chart!!

You've added so many different cards now :O
(Impressive!!)
Thanks, yes some documentation about what cards do what feels appropriate :)
Mikerochip
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:38 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Post by Mikerochip »

Well, it was easy enough with Nova.

Either get an ET4000, and 24bit/16/15/8/4 bit DAC, or, give a kidney for a Mach32. Or two kidneys, for a Mach64 :P

I wonder, is there a possibility of back porting this to work with a standard Mega STE/TT enabled Nova machine?
I feel like a lot of ST users might benefit from, even the old crappy ISA cards.

if I could get a GD-5420 for a few quid, and it'd give me 256 colours at 800x600, I'd get one for my mATX ST :O

Even my Albert 1024x768, 4bit is a nice step up from standard resolutions, for desktop work.
(It's ... not a fast card though :( )
Post Reply

Return to “RAVEN 060 - A homemade Atari-like computer”