Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)
Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
@agranlund I should be able to build rvbios. I'll have to convert the image to a bmp, I had it as PNG or raw file.
The Raven is being troublesome at the mo, crashing under doom or Tyrian with my new graphics card and the old GD5429 2mb. The 1mb version I have seems to work fine but occasionally the screen goes black but music still plays with Tyrian.
The Raven is being troublesome at the mo, crashing under doom or Tyrian with my new graphics card and the old GD5429 2mb. The 1mb version I have seems to work fine but occasionally the screen goes black but music still plays with Tyrian.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Doesn't sound like this is the problem, but do you have sta_vdi.inf in the auto folder?PhilC wrote: Wed Oct 08, 2025 6:28 pm @agranlund I should be able to build rvbios. I'll have to convert the image to a bmp, I had it as PNG or raw file.
The Raven is being troublesome at the mo, crashing under doom or Tyrian with my new graphics card and the old GD5429 2mb. The 1mb version I have seems to work fine but occasionally the screen goes black but music still plays with Tyrian.
(it should say SLEEP = OFF on one of the early lines in that files)
And also NOVA_COL.ACC in the root and being active (and the accompanying NOVA_COL.INF) ?
Without these I get issues with NOVA blanking the screen "randomly" and never being able to exit the screensaver.
I have the exact same screensaver issue on my Atari ST with ET4000 and only got rid of it by disabling both the mouse-position and timer based screensaver triggers.
The release zip has these files in the correct places and already configured to kill the screensaver so I doubt that't the problem.
I only mentioned it just in case since you mentioned screen going black but music kept playing.
Otherwise, I'll suspect the rvnova driver since it's my code
Does it work ok with your W32i card and its driver?
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
@agranlund I've just reinstalled all the software from the latest released fingers crossed its working so far.
I might remake my boot disk as this isn't the first time it's got corrupted.
I might remake my boot disk as this isn't the first time it's got corrupted.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
I'll leave mine running doom in attract mode now while heading out for a walk with the dogsPhilC wrote: Wed Oct 08, 2025 7:47 pm @agranlund I've just reinstalled all the software from the latest released fingers crossed its working so far.
I might remake my boot disk as this isn't the first time it's got corrupted.
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Wow! Looking forward to following the adventureLarryL wrote: Wed Oct 08, 2025 5:43 pm Can’t wait, to start my own build![]()
We are actually 4 fellows from Germany, sourcing boards and components together.
I think we will start building the Raven during next 4 weeks
I will then create my own „build blog“ here![]()
Cheers
Michael
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Hi @agranlund any chance you could build it for me, I've reattached the file.agranlund wrote: Wed Oct 08, 2025 6:16 pmNice!PhilC wrote: Wed Oct 08, 2025 1:58 pm Works great with my Speedstar 64 card and has so far fixed the non booting with the overclocked 5429. Sometimes the Raven would refuse to boot as it hadn't detected the VGA Bios rom.
@agranlund What size is that boot pic btw? I've got one id like to use in its place......
Screenshot 2025-06-26 at 15.16.27.png
Are you able to build sw/rvbios ?
If you are, you could replace sw/rvbios/rvlogo_1bpp.bmp with your image
1) Run "make logo" to (re)generate logo.c from your updated image
2) Run "make" to build rvbios.prg
(tested on Mac, I assume it'll work on Linux too)
The current image has a size of 320x320 but your replacement image could have any size up to 640x420(*) as long as you keep the width a multiple of 8. It should be a standard 256 colour indexed windows bmp, using colour index 0 and 1 only.
(The boot resolution is technically 4bpp so I'm planning on supporting more colours for the boot screen but for now it needs to be a mono image)
Right now the image, whatever its size, will display in the center but slightly offset upward (centering around location 320,210 of the total 640x480 screen area)
As I'm typing this I realise I should put on my todo to have it always take a full 640x480 image instead.. the final data in logo.c is RLE compressed anyway so large blank areas add very little to the data size.
If you're not able to build the thing I can do it here if you want.
Getting everything else sorted for Cyberlegends now and think this will look really good as I show it off.
Last edited by exxos on Fri Sep 25, 2026 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachments placed inline
Reason: Attachments placed inline
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
@PhilC , yep, here's an rvbios.prg built with your boot image.
How to go about downsampling to 1bpp is a bit subjective and I'm certainly no photoshop-pro
So the 1bpp conversion of the bitmap used to generate the logo is also in the zip.
(latest code takes 640x480 image as input)
Normally, bios prints some text on the boot screen.
"[Del] Setup" in the bottom left and "RAVEN060" in bottom right of the screen.
Don't know if you want that or not so you've got a standard version with and a custom without.
How to go about downsampling to 1bpp is a bit subjective and I'm certainly no photoshop-pro
So the 1bpp conversion of the bitmap used to generate the logo is also in the zip.
(latest code takes 640x480 image as input)
Normally, bios prints some text on the boot screen.
"[Del] Setup" in the bottom left and "RAVEN060" in bottom right of the screen.
Don't know if you want that or not so you've got a standard version with and a custom without.
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
@agranlund thank you ever so much. I'm going to enjoy showing off the Raven at CL4 this weekend.
Any other secret, special things we could surprise everyone with?
just kidding.
Any other secret, special things we could surprise everyone with?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Darnit. I should have thought about that earlierPhilC wrote: Thu Oct 09, 2025 8:05 pm Any other secret, special things we could surprise everyone with?just kidding.
Could have made some kind of CL related simple demo-thing using the blitter.
While not as cool as that would have been, I PM'ed you something else..
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Good luck with the build! Let me know if you have any PCB's (or for that matter components) left over, I'd be interested in buying them. I'm also very tempted to build a Raven! But it feels stupid to buy all PCB's by myself when there's often a minimum quantity when ordering.LarryL wrote: Wed Oct 08, 2025 5:43 pm Can’t wait, to start my own build![]()
We are actually 4 fellows from Germany, sourcing boards and components together.
I think we will start building the Raven during next 4 weeks
I will then create my own „build blog“ here![]()
Cheers
Michael

