Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)

STE video synchronisation problem

Problems with your machine in general.
User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 29184
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: STE video synchronisation problem

Post by exxos »

Lift one end of R470 and see if GCLK comes back up ? Also check CCLK both sides of C427.. and R489.
Number_Nine
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:48 pm
Location: UK

Re: STE video synchronisation problem

Post by Number_Nine »

exxos wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:31 pm Lift one end of R470 and see if GCLK comes back up ? Also check CCLK both sides of C427.. and R489.
I've tried removing R470, and after removing - input of R489 (it's R469, I believe though) 4.6V, after R469 - 2.6V, on input of C427 it's 2.6V and on the side connected to pin 17 of 1377 it's same 5V.
User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 29184
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: STE video synchronisation problem

Post by exxos »

Number_Nine wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:52 pm I've tried removing R470, and after removing - input of R489 (it's R469, I believe though) 4.6V, after R469 - 2.6V, on input of C427 it's 2.6V and on the side connected to pin 17 of 1377 it's same 5V.
So just a flat DC voltage there, no signal ?

So to recap, input to R469 has the clock, but the output does not ?

Also with the IC end of R469 lifted, do you still see CCLK on both sides of the resistor ?
User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 29184
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: STE video synchronisation problem

Post by exxos »

This is what I get "left side input" of R469..

c1.png
c1.png (3.9 KiB) Viewed 6078 times

3V p-p. Bias 0v.

Output side of R469 (IC side).

c2.png
c2.png (3.85 KiB) Viewed 6078 times

about 0.2V p-p (200mV) with 0.4V (400mv ). DC offset.
Number_Nine
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:48 pm
Location: UK

Re: STE video synchronisation problem

Post by Number_Nine »

exxos wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:36 pm
Number_Nine wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:52 pm I've tried removing R470, and after removing - input of R489 (it's R469, I believe though) 4.6V, after R469 - 2.6V, on input of C427 it's 2.6V and on the side connected to pin 17 of 1377 it's same 5V.
So just a flat DC voltage there, no signal ?

So to recap, input to R469 has the clock, but the output does not ?

Also with the IC end of R469 lifted, do you still see CCLK on both sides of the resistor ?
Yep, no signal, I was blaming that from the beginning, but then I've checked on a good Atari and that was the same flat signal.
Both input and output of R469 have clock, output has it much weaker (~300mV), though, regardless of the IC side soldered or desoldered.
On schematics R469 is 5.0K, but on the board it's almost 6K, but I don't think that matters as I've tried shorting it out and got no difference.

And what's more interesting - it's all absolutely the same on my second Atari.
User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 29184
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: STE video synchronisation problem

Post by exxos »

Number_Nine wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:00 pm
Yep, no signal, I was blaming that from the beginning, but then I've checked on a good Atari and that was the same flat signal.
Both input and output of R469 have clock, output has it much weaker (~300mV), though, regardless of the IC side soldered or desoldered.
On schematics R469 is 5.0K, but on the board it's almost 6K, but I don't think that matters as I've tried shorting it out and got no difference.

And what's more interesting - it's all absolutely the same on my second Atari.
I think you need to switch to 100mV on your scope and re-check, as you probably won't see the signal else. See my previous images, if I use 5V/div It would appear flat also on my scope.
Number_Nine
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:48 pm
Location: UK

Re: STE video synchronisation problem

Post by Number_Nine »

exxos wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:53 pm This is what I get "left side input" of R469..

c1.png

3V p-p. Bias 0v.

Output side of R469 (IC side).

c2.png

about 0.2V p-p (200mV) with 0.4V (400mv ). DC offset.
Input R469:

SDS00001.jpg
SDS00001.jpg (28.46 KiB) Viewed 6075 times

Output R469:

SDS00002.jpg
SDS00002.jpg (28.58 KiB) Viewed 6075 times

Input C427:

SDS00004.jpg
SDS00004.jpg (28.78 KiB) Viewed 6075 times

Output C427:

SDS00005.jpg
SDS00005.jpg (26.49 KiB) Viewed 6075 times
User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 29184
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: STE video synchronisation problem

Post by exxos »

Number_Nine wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:09 pm Output C427:
You need to be in x10 mode with your probe, and 100mV/div on scope...

c3.png
c3.png (3.42 KiB) Viewed 6075 times
I don't think you will see it with the modes you are using.
Number_Nine
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:48 pm
Location: UK

Re: STE video synchronisation problem

Post by Number_Nine »

exxos wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:07 pm
Number_Nine wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:00 pm
Yep, no signal, I was blaming that from the beginning, but then I've checked on a good Atari and that was the same flat signal.
Both input and output of R469 have clock, output has it much weaker (~300mV), though, regardless of the IC side soldered or desoldered.
On schematics R469 is 5.0K, but on the board it's almost 6K, but I don't think that matters as I've tried shorting it out and got no difference.

And what's more interesting - it's all absolutely the same on my second Atari.
I think you need to switch to 100mV on your scope and re-check, as you probably won't see the signal else. See my previous images, if I use 5V/div It would appear flat also on my scope.
Sorry, I meant flat 5V on 17 pin of 1377 (well, it's also a pulse-ish, but with 5V bias and p-p some very few mV).
Number_Nine
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:48 pm
Location: UK

Re: STE video synchronisation problem

Post by Number_Nine »

exxos wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:18 pm
Number_Nine wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:09 pm Output C427:
You need to be in x10 mode with your probe, and 100mV/div on scope...


c3.png

I don't think you will see it with the modes you are using.
I see it, but it's very unstable and jerky. Is it fairly stable on your machine?

SDS00006.jpg
SDS00006.jpg (28.13 KiB) Viewed 6071 times
Last edited by exxos on Fri Sep 25, 2026 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spacing around attachments corrected
Post Reply

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”