Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)

General Stuff(tm)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
User avatar
PhilC
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7659
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by PhilC »

Good that the ram is now stable, that's annoying about the keyboard.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
User avatar
stephen_usher
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 7593
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm
Location: Oxford, UK.
Contact:

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by stephen_usher »

Yeah, and "load" programs aren't loading from tape but short ones are. Possible bank switching issues as well?
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
User avatar
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 15356
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2026 5:57 pm Yeah, and "load" programs aren't loading from tape but short ones are. Possible bank switching issues as well?
Doesn't sound like you're having much luck with it!

What looks after the bank switching and how does the machine determine which bank the code goes into? I presume it bank switches anything above 64KB or is it anythig over 48KB?

I'm sure it isn't, but have you tried a different ROM, the original one I made for my Enterprise cause a ton of weirdness and it was fixed by burning a new ROM.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
User avatar
stephen_usher
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 7593
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm
Location: Oxford, UK.
Contact:

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by stephen_usher »

This is probably why the bus isn't getting held up correctly... The cursor signal from the 6845 never overlaps with the pulse allowing the 4538 to raise the bus request line. They miss by about 2.8uS.

IMG_5418.jpeg
IMG_5418.jpeg (172.66 KiB) Viewed 44 times

@rubber_jonnie I've tried rewriting the ROMs but there's only one set of images I can find on the Internet.

From what I can work out the bank switching is done using an I/O port. On the 96K it swaps the ROMs in and out and overlays memory on top of those addresses.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
User avatar
stephen_usher
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 7593
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm
Location: Oxford, UK.
Contact:

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by stephen_usher »

I've got back from my partner's nephew's wedding weekend so had a chance to catch up a bit.

Ian Cudlip tested his machine and the keyboard, according to him, works perfectly and there's nothing on that specific 4538 output either, so that's a red herring. This is why you always need a reference machine.

It has been suggested to change the ROMs. So I downloaded the ROM images from a completely different site and wrote new EPROMs, ST M27C512 instead of the Winbond W27C512 EEPROMs. The ROM images turned out to be identical. After swapping the ROMs the symptoms didn't change.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
User avatar
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 15356
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 3:00 pm I've got back from my partner's nephew's wedding weekend so had a chance to catch up a bit.

Ian Cudlip tested his machine and the keyboard, according to him, works perfectly and there's nothing on that specific 4538 output either, so that's a red herring. This is why you always need a reference machine.

It has been suggested to change the ROMs. So I downloaded the ROM images from a completely different site and wrote new EPROMs, ST M27C512 instead of the Winbond W27C512 EEPROMs. The ROM images turned out to be identical. After swapping the ROMs the symptoms didn't change.
Well it was worth a try, I can only assume that my ROM IC was bad, it's been fine and dandy since I replaced it. Shame it didn't work for you.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
User avatar
PhilC
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7659
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by PhilC »

Wondering if the rims are too fast? I know the Beeb has issues with newer eproms.

I burnt my new rims onto a three 200ns eproms that I had and it has ran fine so far.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
User avatar
stephen_usher
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 7593
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm
Location: Oxford, UK.
Contact:

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, after basically rewriting the lynx2wav conversion program I've at last got a working version of the "Jet Set Willy" 96K port and it works.



Well, other than the keyboard issue and random (but relatively rare) display memory glitches.

It proves that the memory paging is working as is most of the machine. The video memory glitches are probably another symptom of the timing problem causing the keyboard issue.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Post Reply

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”