Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)

Mega ST2 - problem with the color monitor

Problems with your machine in general.
Post Reply
retrolemon
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2026 1:03 pm
Location: Oxford
Contact:

Mega ST2 - problem with the color monitor

Post by retrolemon »

Hi all,
First post at the forum and I am glad that I managed finally to register (not without the problems ;) ).

I recently picked up an Atari Mega ST2. It’s specifically a Behring Nephelometer 100 Terminal, though that likely doesn't matter regarding the issue at hand.

I bought the unit with an SM124 monitor, and everything works perfectly in ST High resolution. When I inspected it before buying, it was connected to an SC1224, and everything ran flawlessly then, too. After bringing it home however, it turned out the machine has trouble with SCART monitors/TVs. The symptom is a lack of synchronization. The computer does boot up - you can see the GEM background in ST Low mode if you look closely at the second photo (click to enlarge).

IMG-20261003-153304191-HDR.jpg
IMG-20261003-153304191-HDR.jpg (49.55 KiB) Viewed 8 times
IMG-20261003-153334444-HDR.jpg
IMG-20261003-153334444-HDR.jpg (60.1 KiB) Viewed 8 times

When I launch something in lower resolutions, the background pattern changes, so the computer is definitely working; it just can't seem to establish a proper sync signal. I also have a STE machine that works without any issues using the same DIN13-to-SCART cable and the same monitor. I even bought a second cable, but got the same result. I also tested it on a different SCART TV with the same outcome (no picture here).

I am not sure if it helps, but here are the photos of mobo after removing UART Megabus card.

IMG-20261004-123031263-HDR.jpg
IMG-20261004-123031263-HDR.jpg (535.67 KiB) Viewed 6 times
IMG-20261004-123015611-HDR.jpg
IMG-20261004-123015611-HDR.jpg (384.81 KiB) Viewed 6 times

What can I do or check besides buying an SC1224?

PS. I will be coming to CL5 and planning to bring it in, so maybe someone could have a look at it there?
User avatar
PhilC
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7634
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: Mega ST2 - problem with the color monitor

Post by PhilC »

Hi Jakub,

Try removing the GLUE & MMU, cleaning the chips and sockets and reinsert them.

The mono selection pin goes to the MFP chip 68901, so you could try checking that for corrosion on the socket if it's not directly soldered to the motherboard.

Other than that you'll need to diagnose the fault with a scope quite likely, to see what's happening to the sync signals.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
retrolemon
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2026 1:03 pm
Location: Oxford
Contact:

Re: Mega ST2 - problem with the color monitor

Post by retrolemon »

I am running similar thread on Atari Area and Perinoid pointed that I might be missing the components on the motherboard (marked with dotted line)
Screenshot_20261004_155940.jpg
Screenshot_20261004_155940.jpg (103.38 KiB) Viewed 16 times
And sure I am!
IMG_20261004_195613445_HDR.jpg
IMG_20261004_195613445_HDR.jpg (244.21 KiB) Viewed 16 times
I am going to fill them up and report back if it made any change.
User avatar
PhilC
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7634
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: Mega ST2 - problem with the color monitor

Post by PhilC »

@retrolemon that makes sense, no Csync without it.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Post Reply

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”