A5000 - diving in at the deep end!
-
HigashiJun
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: 19 Jun 2020 07:21
- Location: Tokyo
Re: A5000 - diving in at the deep end!
Seems you're close to your goal.
:)
:)
-
rubber_jonnie
- Site Admin

- Posts: 15320
- Joined: 17 Aug 2017 19:40
- Location: Essex
Re: A5000 - diving in at the deep end!
Getting closer, but having attempted to set it all up as per the instructions, it's not working. I know the NIC was tested and working before it was shipped to me, but the software hangs on boot :(
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
-
HigashiJun
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: 19 Jun 2020 07:21
- Location: Tokyo
Re: A5000 - diving in at the deep end!
@rubber_jonnie
I found this on Chris's Acorns website:
"The podule does not have its software in ROM, so it must be loaded from disc (!System) when the card is initialised. It uses the Ether1 driver."
but I guess you already know that since your software hangs on boot.
I found this on Chris's Acorns website:
"The podule does not have its software in ROM, so it must be loaded from disc (!System) when the card is initialised. It uses the Ether1 driver."
but I guess you already know that since your software hangs on boot.
-
rubber_jonnie
- Site Admin

- Posts: 15320
- Joined: 17 Aug 2017 19:40
- Location: Essex
Re: A5000 - diving in at the deep end!
Yes, I was given a skeleton !Boot containing the driver etc, however whilst it all installs ok, I am missing a folder called 'Blanks' with a file called 'User' and a file called 'Routes'. Without these the settings can't be saved.HigashiJun wrote: 20 Oct 2023 10:05 @rubber_jonnie
I found this on Chris's Acorns website:
"The podule does not have its software in ROM, so it must be loaded from disc (!System) when the card is initialised. It uses the Ether1 driver."
but I guess you already know that since your software hangs on boot.
I can create these files, but they seem to be empty once I save the settings, and afterwards I get a hang.
I just tried with the installed version of !inetsetup, and it no longer hangs. Hmmm
Also, running *podules doesn't show the NIC, but it does show an empty space, and I think that is because it has no ROM.
Also, having just run the setup without dropping the skeleton !Boot in, it is seeming to work, in that I can actually see the NIC if I run *ifconfig -a. I can now see the NIC, so it may be a driver issue.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
-
rubber_jonnie
- Site Admin

- Posts: 15320
- Joined: 17 Aug 2017 19:40
- Location: Essex
Re: A5000 - diving in at the deep end!
@HigashiJun I see you've found your way to Stardot :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
-
HigashiJun
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: 19 Jun 2020 07:21
- Location: Tokyo
Re: A5000 - diving in at the deep end!
@rubber_jonnie
Hmm, really weird...
I just hate having a functional hardware with a lumpy driver.
Did you get the driver from the same source (CJE, I presume) ?
Hmm, really weird...
I just hate having a functional hardware with a lumpy driver.
Did you get the driver from the same source (CJE, I presume) ?
-
rubber_jonnie
- Site Admin

- Posts: 15320
- Joined: 17 Aug 2017 19:40
- Location: Essex
Re: A5000 - diving in at the deep end!
I did, yes, it was sent to me, but I'm now not 100% sure it was for the A5000 and RISCOS 3.1.HigashiJun wrote: 20 Oct 2023 11:31 @rubber_jonnie
Hmm, really weird...
I just hate having a functional hardware with a lumpy driver.
Did you get the driver from the same source (CJE, I presume) ?
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
-
HigashiJun
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: 19 Jun 2020 07:21
- Location: Tokyo
Re: A5000 - diving in at the deep end!
@rubber_jonnie
I'm sure CJE can help you with this issue then.
I'm sure CJE can help you with this issue then.
-
rubber_jonnie
- Site Admin

- Posts: 15320
- Joined: 17 Aug 2017 19:40
- Location: Essex
Re: A5000 - diving in at the deep end!
Hopefully. I do get this now:
Which is promising, and I see activity on my switch and the AUI to Ethernet adapter, but I can't ping anything. Could now be something as simple as the switch, it's connected to a 10/100 desktop device, or it may be that there is some other config issue.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
-
stephen_usher
- Site sponsor

- Posts: 7581
- Joined: 13 Nov 2017 19:19
- Location: Oxford, UK.
Re: A5000 - diving in at the deep end!
What's your routing table like? If no route then no ping.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: ClaudeBot, mascis, Meta-WebIndexer [Bot] and 7 guests