Good point..stephen_usher wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 12:02 am One thing that puzzles me is if the ground is earth referenced then assuming that the power cable is also earthed then why didn't the socket or even the house RCD trip as soon as it started to conduct?
One other finding.. The mains earth wire basically goes nowhere. It looks like the design idea was to feed GND via the mounting bolts to earth to the motherboard.. But the spacers are plastic and theres nothing to make the connection.. I'd have to look more closely but I don't think the scew posts in the case will make any sort of reliable contact to the motherboard GND.
But even so, a short across the mains switch to mains gnd should have blown the rcd.. Saying that.. Our fuse box is old and uses cartridge fuses.. We going to look to upgrading next year.. I'll have to ask the owner about his fuse box..


