Hi everyone,
I thought I'd start a thread documenting my latest project, turning our tiny spare room (1.5m x 4m), previously a dumping ground for guitars, amps and assorted junk, into a little Atari based recording room.
The plan is to build a late 80s/early 90s style setup centered around an Atari 520STE running Logic, synchronized to a Tascam 424 cassette four-track.
I've been digging out my old equipment as well as acquiring some new bits for the project, including an Akai AX73 (originally my brother's from 1987), E-mu Proteus 1/XR, Boss DR-660, Fostex 2016 mixer and various rack effects. I'm also on the hunt for an Akai S950 sampler.
The Atari now has 4MB RAM, an UltraSatan, Gotek, Logic dongle and Unitor II.
Here are a few photos showing what I've started with and the room after clearing everything out.
Most of the equipment has now arrived, and I'm about to tackle the wiring, shelving and putting it all together.
The idea is to have a fully functioning little studio room where I can make music without relying on a modern computer. I'll post updates and more photos as things progress.
Hopefully some of you will find the project interesting, and I'd certainly welcome any suggestions from anyone who's still making music with an Atari.
Cheers,
Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)
Building a little Atari MIDI recording studio
- viking272
- Site sponsor

- Posts: 300
- Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:32 am
- Location: Reading, Berkshire, UK
Re: Building a little Atari MIDI recording studio
Looks a very interesting project and the perfect location for a MIDI studio.
What’s the rough layout you’re thinking of?
Is there a rack going in?
Will you play live instruments to sample as well?
What’s the rough layout you’re thinking of?
Is there a rack going in?
Will you play live instruments to sample as well?
Re: Building a little Atari MIDI recording studio
Thanks! The Atari and Tascam 424 will share the main desk, with the Akai AX73 along one wall. The rack gear and patchbay will have to squeeze underneath the desk.viking272 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:29 am Looks a very interesting project and the perfect location for a MIDI studio.
What’s the rough layout you’re thinking of?
Is there a rack going in?
Will you play live instruments to sample as well?
I'm definitely planning to sample live instruments, particularly guitars, but I'm more interested in mangling sounds and creating unusual textures than realistic instrument samples.
One of the attractions of the Akai S950 sampler is being able to connect it to the AX73 and process samples through its analogue filters and envelopes. That should be fun to experiment with!
Hopefully I'll have some progress photos to share soon.
Re: Building a little Atari MIDI recording studio
I’ve made a bit more progress and now have most of the main furniture in place.
The next stage is getting all the messy drilling and fitting jobs done before I start moving the Atari, rack gear and synths in properly.
The guitar pedal storage drawer unit thing took a while to put together. It’s basically IKEA letter trays bolted together, with a top and base made from some old kitchen shelving my in-laws were getting rid of, covered in walnut vinyl wrap. It’s turned out quite nicely and should make good use of the narrow space.
I’ve also finally got the guitar hangers up, which was another job that took longer than expected.
Still to do: drill the speaker mounts to the wall, cut a hole in the desk for the cartridge extension cable, and make a small shelf underneath for the LOG3 and Unitor II. The desk is quite small, so there simply isn’t room to have those plugged directly into the Atari in the usual way once everything else is in place.
Progress has also been slowed down slightly by trying to fit a new PSU in the STE, which isn’t going quite as smoothly as hoped.
Once the drilling is finished I can finally start moving the computer and music gear in properly.
The next stage is getting all the messy drilling and fitting jobs done before I start moving the Atari, rack gear and synths in properly.
The guitar pedal storage drawer unit thing took a while to put together. It’s basically IKEA letter trays bolted together, with a top and base made from some old kitchen shelving my in-laws were getting rid of, covered in walnut vinyl wrap. It’s turned out quite nicely and should make good use of the narrow space.
I’ve also finally got the guitar hangers up, which was another job that took longer than expected.
Still to do: drill the speaker mounts to the wall, cut a hole in the desk for the cartridge extension cable, and make a small shelf underneath for the LOG3 and Unitor II. The desk is quite small, so there simply isn’t room to have those plugged directly into the Atari in the usual way once everything else is in place.
Progress has also been slowed down slightly by trying to fit a new PSU in the STE, which isn’t going quite as smoothly as hoped.
Once the drilling is finished I can finally start moving the computer and music gear in properly.
