Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)

Building a little Atari MIDI recording studio

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
Post Reply
mascis
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2026 2:06 pm

Building a little Atari MIDI recording studio

Post by mascis »

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd start a thread documenting my latest project, turning our tiny spare room (1.5m x 4m), previously a dumping ground for guitars, amps and assorted junk, into a little Atari based recording room.

The plan is to build a late 80s/early 90s style setup centered around an Atari 520STE running Logic, synchronized to a Tascam 424 cassette four-track.

I've been digging out my old equipment as well as acquiring some new bits for the project, including an Akai AX73 (originally my brother's from 1987), E-mu Proteus 1/XR, Boss DR-660, Fostex 2016 mixer and various rack effects. I'm also on the hunt for an Akai S950 sampler.

The Atari now has 4MB RAM, an UltraSatan, Gotek, Logic dongle and Unitor II.

Here are a few photos showing what I've started with and the room after clearing everything out.

IMG_3616.jpeg
IMG_3616.jpeg (200.05 KiB) Viewed 35 times
IMG_3834.jpeg
IMG_3834.jpeg (172.28 KiB) Viewed 35 times
IMG_3830.jpeg
IMG_3830.jpeg (186.16 KiB) Viewed 35 times

Most of the equipment has now arrived, and I'm about to tackle the wiring, shelving and putting it all together.

The idea is to have a fully functioning little studio room where I can make music without relying on a modern computer. I'll post updates and more photos as things progress.

Cheers,

I'll keep adding photographs and updates as the project progresses. I'm sure I'll run into plenty of technical problems along the way, particularly once I start getting everything synchronized.

Hopefully some of you will find the project interesting, and I'd certainly welcome any suggestions from anyone who's still making music with an Atari.

Cheers,
User avatar
viking272
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:32 am
Location: Reading, Berkshire, UK

Re: Building a little Atari MIDI recording studio

Post by viking272 »

Looks a very interesting project and the perfect location for a MIDI studio.
What’s the rough layout you’re thinking of?
Is there a rack going in?
Will you play live instruments to sample as well?
Post Reply

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”