Can all registered uses please login, even just for a few minutes..
It helps build a picture where our "good traffic" is coming from..
Thanks :)

Slow DSP investigation with DFB1

Discussion and support for the DSTB1 & DFB1 boosters by BadWolf..
User avatar
stephen_usher
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 7588
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm
Location: Oxford, UK.
Contact:

Re: Slow DSP investigation with DFB1

Post by stephen_usher »

Let's face it, the Falcon030 was rushed out the door as a minimally viable product before it had really come out of prototype stage to try to save the company.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
charon030
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2025 8:09 am

Re: Slow DSP investigation with DFB1

Post by charon030 »

On atari-home.de a user confirmed that the same issue exists on the CT60:

https://forum.atari-home.de/index.php/t ... #msg275361
User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 29320
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Slow DSP investigation with DFB1

Post by exxos »

charon030 wrote: Mon Jan 19, 2026 12:01 pm On atari-home.de a user confirmed that the same issue exists on the CT60:

https://forum.atari-home.de/index.php/t ... #msg275361
Thanks for sharing that.

There was something I saw somewhere about some logic from the CT2 or something which may help solve the problem ? Not had chance to read a lot of posts lately.
User avatar
Badwolf
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 3132
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:09 pm

Re: Slow DSP investigation with DFB1

Post by Badwolf »

  • The issue is per Atari's design;
  • It will affect any solderless accelerators (unless they happen to also replace a GAL) -- it's been observed on the CT60;
  • @pakman has been very kind into looking into what can be done on the GAL side and I have some work to do on that front, but I've not had time to do it yet;
  • The DSP isn't 'running slow' but communication to the DSP is slower than usual. Any program that relies on tight timing on the CPU against the DSP could be affected;
  • DFB1(X) has a disable jumper to accomodate such programs. This is inelegant, but effective.
BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
User avatar
viking272
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:32 am
Location: Reading, Berkshire, UK

Re: Slow DSP investigation with DFB1

Post by viking272 »

Hi BW,

There were a few elements from the above list that were being looked at? I wonder if there was any further findings?
User avatar
Badwolf
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Posts: 3132
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:09 pm

Re: Slow DSP investigation with DFB1

Post by Badwolf »

viking272 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 2:30 pm There were a few elements from the above list that were being looked at? I wonder if there was any further findings?
I kind of reached a bit of a dead end, to be honest.

Basically, with Pakman's help, I had a combination of DFB1 firmware mods and GAL mods that would show 100% results on the host port test and almost full speed on all the other tests too (I suspect some are just down a little because of the bus arbitration), but effectively the problem as discovered was eliminated.

However I couldn't verify that it was working because unfortunately Acetracker doesn't like the clock switching and so despite not necessarily hitting a DSP limit any more, the screen mode changes that accompany selecting music file normally cause the screen to blank rendering the test impossible.

Cubase Audio was the other application we'd seen problems with. I couldn't make the cracked version I had work properly anyway. I didn't have the DSP dongle and I didn't know what I was doing anyway.

I don't remember if I actually got around to setting up the SCSI image. It's possible that's the only real issue to testing it, but I think it was unstable under acceleration anyway (again, possibly the clock switching).

On top of that the firmware changes necessary weren't backwards compatible with an unmodified GAL meaning they'd need to use a jumper. Which means repurposing an existing one. Which again affects backwards compatibility.

Certainly I can put together some test firmware and a GAL Jed for U68 (I think) if anyone else would like to give it a try, but with the two main use cases being a bit hit and miss anyway, I didn't think it was really worth chasing hard at the moment.

A user would have to have 1) DFB1 (not X), 2) the ability to program its firmware 3) a spare GAL16V8-15 and 4) the ability to program said GAL.

But tap me up again here if you have all the above and would like to try it out!

Cheers,

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
Post Reply

Return to “DSTB1 & DFB1 booster by BadWolf”