Page 1 of 1

H5 possible reset issue (WIP)

Posted: 30 Mar 2026 20:03
by exxos
Long story short I was monitoring the reset line on a spare 68K IO socket on my scope when I saw this...

IMG_4947.JPG
IMG_4947.JPG (97.76 KiB) Viewed 979 times

Two seconds later I heard my radio wireless clock beep.. Bit of a coincidence I thought..... Then the H5 reset.

I noticed similar earlier that if I strike my soldering iron while monitoring the falling edge of reset, I can clearly see some distortion there. Sometimes I can even get the H5 to reset.

The problem seems to be worse more towards the power supply. Have swapped out my own brand for a SR98 and same issues. The reset IC is under the PSU .

The import to the reset chip has a internal IC pull-up of 68K. Possible its not enough. But if the IC saw a post you would assume a proper reset pulse would trigger.. So there lies my ponder.. I don't have time at the moment to get sidetracked onto another project.....

The H5 has a 10K pull up on the reset output which feeds the LS07 buffers which drives system reset. The output of the LS07 has a 1K pull up on it. So a RF spike could only be most susceptible on the MR pin of the reset chips which has internal 68K pullup. I would think its unlikely a RF spike could counteract a 10K resistor even..

This is the reset IC

stm6315.pdf
(177.45 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

Circuit (it will vary a bit depending on H5 revision)

reset.PNG
reset.PNG (44.81 KiB) Viewed 979 times


So it would help if other people could actually replicate this experiment and see if it is repeatable on other people's machines.. Even a original Atari ST in comparison would help ..

Re: H5 possible reset issue (WIP)

Posted: 31 Mar 2026 14:06
by exxos
This happens when I turned the bathroom light on !

IMG_4955.JPG
IMG_4955.JPG (106.83 KiB) Viewed 945 times

Re: H5 possible reset issue (WIP)

Posted: 31 Mar 2026 20:29
by Icky
You sure you dont have dodgy electrics in your house @exxos :hide:

Re: H5 possible reset issue (WIP)

Posted: 31 Mar 2026 21:16
by exxos
Icky wrote: 31 Mar 2026 20:29 You sure you dont have dodgy electrics in your house @exxos :hide:
Yeah but im "isolated" via my UPSU on everything in my room.. and my gas soldering iron and radio controlled time clock also causes the issue.

Re: H5 possible reset issue (WIP)

Posted: 31 Mar 2026 23:12
by stephen_usher
Are you sure it's not the UPS misbehaving then? Half switching to battery with a slightly different phase when it sees a spike on the mains?

Re: H5 possible reset issue (WIP)

Posted: 01 Apr 2026 00:15
by exxos
stephen_usher wrote: 31 Mar 2026 23:12 Are you sure it's not the UPS misbehaving then? Half switching to battery with a slightly different phase when it sees a spike on the mains?
How does a gas soldering iron cause mains issues? And only on the reset signal?

Re: H5 possible reset issue (WIP)

Posted: 01 Apr 2026 05:39
by stephen_usher
Ah, OK. I guess that it will have a piezo igniter.

So, it sounds like it’s an RF issue. Probably a cold joint somewhere acting as a crystal radio receiver.