Page 8 of 8

Re: Supercomputing adventures with a MegaST/4

Posted: 01 Oct 2026 09:28
by dml
So I figured out which points on the backplane expose the up/down links in my topology diagram. I knew they were exposed there, just had to identify them exactly.

Unfortunately the pins are too short to attempt wirewrap so I just soldered them.

backplanelinks.jpg
backplanelinks.jpg (530.85 KiB) Viewed 41 times


Two boards now installed on the backplane:

16x.jpg
16x.jpg (485.45 KiB) Viewed 41 times


Two boards detected and ready to go:

16x-detect.jpg
16x-detect.jpg (427.95 KiB) Viewed 41 times

Re: Supercomputing adventures with a MegaST/4

Posted: 01 Oct 2026 09:36
by Badwolf
dml wrote: 01 Oct 2026 09:28 Two boards now installed on the backplane:
Holy macarone, Batman! :o

BW

Re: Supercomputing adventures with a MegaST/4

Posted: 01 Oct 2026 09:36
by rubber_jonnie
dml wrote: 01 Oct 2026 09:24
rubber_jonnie wrote: 27 Sep 2026 14:00 You'll be running your own AI on it soon enough!
It seems like we're not in short supply right now :-)

A contributor on the ATW800 channel has actually done this (running a very very tiny model, on the root Transputer) as an experiment.
Nice, is there a link to that at all please?

Re: Supercomputing adventures with a MegaST/4

Posted: 01 Oct 2026 09:45
by dml
Badwolf wrote: 01 Oct 2026 09:36 Holy macarone, Batman! :o
:D

They're only 20MHz - but each one (each CPU) has a pretty fast FPU and 4MB of RAM, which is nice!

Re: Supercomputing adventures with a MegaST/4

Posted: 01 Oct 2026 09:49
by dml
rubber_jonnie wrote: 01 Oct 2026 09:36 Nice, is there a link to that at all please?
I have no idea what the discord channel's policy is on posting invite links (bots etc.) so I PM'd you. :)

Re: Supercomputing adventures with a MegaST/4

Posted: 01 Oct 2026 10:09
by rubber_jonnie
dml wrote: 01 Oct 2026 09:49
rubber_jonnie wrote: 01 Oct 2026 09:36 Nice, is there a link to that at all please?
I have no idea what the discord channel's policy is on posting invite links (bots etc.) so I PM'd you. :)
I saw, thanks :)