2025 Exxos PSU in 520STE – clearance / case won’t close properly
Posted: 10 Oct 2026 17:05
Hi, I’m hoping someone can advise before I undo all the work I’ve done installing this.
I’ve fitted the 2025 Exxos replacement PSU to my Atari 520STE, along with the recommended replacement power switch. The PSU bolts perfectly onto the original metal base using the existing mounting holes, and I’ve completed the wiring and continuity checks successfully.
Unfortunately I’ve hit a physical clearance problem.
The original PSU shielding plate is extremely difficult to fit over the new PSU. I managed to get it on by carefully routing and cable-tying the wiring out of the way, but even then the Atari’s plastic top case no longer sits naturally. It noticeably rests on/pushes against something underneath and would have to be pressed down while tightening the case screws, which I really don’t want to do.
I’ve also tried it without the PSU top shield, but with the rear shielding arrangement in my particular STE there still seems to be too much obstruction for the plastic case to fit as it originally did.
Is this expected with the 2025 PSU in some 520STE chassis/shielding revisions, or am I missing a particular way this is supposed to be mounted or routed?
I really don’t want to force the case closed or modify the original Atari if that isn’t intended.
Thanks very much for any advice.
I’ve fitted the 2025 Exxos replacement PSU to my Atari 520STE, along with the recommended replacement power switch. The PSU bolts perfectly onto the original metal base using the existing mounting holes, and I’ve completed the wiring and continuity checks successfully.
Unfortunately I’ve hit a physical clearance problem.
The original PSU shielding plate is extremely difficult to fit over the new PSU. I managed to get it on by carefully routing and cable-tying the wiring out of the way, but even then the Atari’s plastic top case no longer sits naturally. It noticeably rests on/pushes against something underneath and would have to be pressed down while tightening the case screws, which I really don’t want to do.
I’ve also tried it without the PSU top shield, but with the rear shielding arrangement in my particular STE there still seems to be too much obstruction for the plastic case to fit as it originally did.
Is this expected with the 2025 PSU in some 520STE chassis/shielding revisions, or am I missing a particular way this is supposed to be mounted or routed?
I really don’t want to force the case closed or modify the original Atari if that isn’t intended.
Thanks very much for any advice.