Page 1 of 1

Solar eclipse tomorrow !

Posted: 11 Aug 2026 15:10
by exxos
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/id ... f688bcc3dd


I remember seeing the last one in my old job.. now I feel old..... :cry:

Re: Solar eclipse tomorrow !

Posted: 11 Aug 2026 16:17
by mrbombermillzy
exxos wrote: 11 Aug 2026 15:10 I remember seeing the last one in my old job.. now I feel old..... :cry:
I was working at a custom loom cutting electronics/electrical company when the last one happened. IIRC 1999?

Re: Solar eclipse tomorrow !

Posted: 11 Aug 2026 18:50
by stephen_usher
August 1999 was the last total eclipse.

In Britain tomorrow’s eclipse is just partial.

Re: Solar eclipse tomorrow !

Posted: 12 Aug 2026 08:01
by peters
I had planned a diving holiday in Cornwall for the 1999 Eclipse.

We had 20+ people down there and went up to the cliffs over Falmouth bay to observe. There were hundreds there with us.

It was cloudy and started to drizzle and we didn't expect much but we weren't disappointed.

It got more and more gloomy and then a wave of darkness swept over us. We could see cabin lights in the yachts anchored half a mile away. A breeze blew through at the safe time. It was eerie.

Well worth seeing a total eclipse.

Re: Solar eclipse tomorrow !

Posted: 12 Aug 2026 10:48
by stephen_usher
peters wrote: 12 Aug 2026 08:01 I had planned a diving holiday in Cornwall for the 1999 Eclipse.

We had 20+ people down there and went up to the cliffs over Falmouth bay to observe. There were hundreds there with us.

It was cloudy and started to drizzle and we didn't expect much but we weren't disappointed.

It got more and more gloomy and then a wave of darkness swept over us. We could see cabin lights in the yachts anchored half a mile away. A breeze blew through at the safe time. It was eerie.

Well worth seeing a total eclipse.
I was at my parents' house in Mullion, on The Lizard. There was a break in the clouds just after totality started which closed up just as the diamond ring emerged.

Re: Solar eclipse tomorrow !

Posted: 12 Aug 2026 23:50
by exxos
Image I took !

efa39580-05c2-42d9-bf01-dbbb613da9e6.jpg
efa39580-05c2-42d9-bf01-dbbb613da9e6.jpg (36.86 KiB) Viewed 261 times

Re: Solar eclipse tomorrow !

Posted: 13 Aug 2026 07:27
by alexh
I watched it on TV. The pictures from the Icelandic total eclipse were spectacular. A solar prominence was occurring just as totality was reached. Never seen anything like that before in any coverage of any previous solar eclipse


Screenshot_2026-08-13-07-28-53-306_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
Screenshot_2026-08-13-07-28-53-306_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg (36.33 KiB) Viewed 244 times

Re: Solar eclipse tomorrow !

Posted: 13 Aug 2026 07:39
by HigashiJun
exxos wrote: 12 Aug 2026 23:50 Image I took !


efa39580-05c2-42d9-bf01-dbbb613da9e6.jpg
:lol:

Was your female neighbour out in her garden that night ?

Re: Solar eclipse tomorrow !

Posted: 13 Aug 2026 08:12
by dad664npc
exxos wrote: 12 Aug 2026 23:50 Image I took !


efa39580-05c2-42d9-bf01-dbbb613da9e6.jpg
A cold wind was blowing :)

Re: Solar eclipse tomorrow !

Posted: 13 Aug 2026 09:52
by stephen_usher
A few shots using the "point the iPhone camera down the eyepiece" technique, which is sub-optimal.

IMG_5345.jpeg
IMG_5345.jpeg (53.64 KiB) Viewed 218 times
IMG_5348.jpeg
IMG_5348.jpeg (60.71 KiB) Viewed 218 times
IMG_5350.jpeg
IMG_5350.jpeg (133.62 KiB) Viewed 218 times
IMG_5351.jpeg
IMG_5351.jpeg (89.46 KiB) Viewed 218 times