Page 95 of 168

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Posted: 08 Jun 2025 20:34
by agranlund
That's enough KiCad for a while now..

Made and ordered an IDE byteswap adapter so I can continue in getting MagiC running on Raven.

byteswap.jpg
byteswap.jpg (84.76 KiB) Viewed 394 times

Stopped procrastinating about it and moved a bunch of stuff around to make space for CKBD, Ethernet stuff, and a USB hub.
(I figure it can't hurt to have an additional two USB ports on an internal header)

I'm not the biggest fan of routing so it always hurts when ripping up tracks :lol:

a2mess.jpg
a2mess.jpg (195.59 KiB) Viewed 394 times

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Posted: 08 Jun 2025 20:47
by PhilC
@agranlund just a thought and I know you hate routing stuff.

How about two IDE headers? 1 for Rach byte swap scenario? They could be right next to each other and won't take up much real estate.

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Posted: 08 Jun 2025 22:01
by agranlund
PhilC wrote: 08 Jun 2025 20:47 @agranlund just a thought and I know you hate routing stuff.

How about two IDE headers? 1 for Rach byte swap scenario? They could be right next to each other and won't take up much real estate.
I think I'll keep it as it is now. The normal case is to take advantage of EmuTOS's built in driver, and have the disk readable on both Raven and PC, so it makes sense to be optimised for that scenario in terms of speed.

I'll be able to experiment with non-emutos using the adapter. It could also be possible make a standalone driver out of EmuTOS's internal disk driver, that would solve the same thing.

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Posted: 14 Jun 2025 19:26
by dml
Quick question - what is the frequency of CLK2 to the 2nd MFP? Is it 2MHz divided from the 8MHz clock, or some other value?

And for CLK4?

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Posted: 16 Jun 2025 07:49
by agranlund
dml wrote: 14 Jun 2025 19:26 Quick question - what is the frequency of CLK2 to the 2nd MFP? Is it 2MHz divided from the 8MHz clock, or some other value?

And for CLK4?
yep, 2 and 4 mhz divided from the 8mhz can.

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Posted: 19 Jun 2025 15:28
by agranlund
@PhilC ,

Firmware binary and some instructions for the USB Eiffel replacement can be found here:
https://github.com/agranlund/raven/tree/main/fw/ckbd

(for this hardware addon)
https://github.com/agranlund/raven/tree ... rades/ckbd

Not everything has been tested, or implemented, in terms of IKBD compatibility but desktop use is working here. I'm sure we'll find and fix incompatibilities as more unusual ikbd modes are tested.

The EiffelCF program can be used for the normal settings but extended stuff (*) will need some new program to be written or perhaps extending EiffelCF.
For now, the Raven monitor can be used to update firmware or change any setting but in a non user-friendly way.
(*) individual scaling for USB, PS2 and Legacy mice. To select Amiga instead of Atari legacy mouse etc.


The ckbd firmware binary is supposed to be in the release package but I haven't gotten around to rebuilding one -- for now it can be grabbed directly from the ckbd folder on github.
Later versions of the raven rom auto-negotiates a higher baud rate when detecting ckbd instead of eiffel so that too goes "live" when I rebuild the release package.

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Posted: 19 Jun 2025 15:43
by PhilC
Cool, thanks @agranlund. Typical you send it after I reassembled my Raven again :p

I'll get some boards ordered and built but will leave the soldering mods for the next time I take it out it's case again.

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Posted: 19 Jun 2025 15:51
by peters
I know pci was left out for good reason but would a CTpci solution work ?

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Posted: 19 Jun 2025 20:07
by agranlund
PhilC wrote: 19 Jun 2025 15:43 will leave the soldering mods for the next time I take it out it's case again.
Haha, same here! I still haven't done those to mine - it's a bit of a project removing the board from the case :)

Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer

Posted: 19 Jun 2025 21:13
by agranlund
peters wrote: 19 Jun 2025 15:51 I know pci was left out for good reason but would a CTpci solution work ?
Anything could work as long as someone is interested in it enough to put the work in I suppose :)
A CT60 compatible expansion port is not a bad idea in itself and you could maybe get a ctpci working that way.

It would certainly be fun to do something more elaborate on a Revision B model but to be honest this one does exactly what it set out to do and provides more than enough fun for me. I recon it will be a long while until I feel the urge to do a larger kind of redesign. In that case I'm leaning more towards a VLB slot but who knows.