Very slowly starting to get back into Atari things again after having almost zero time for the last month.
I wanted to "fix" the Eiffel since it sometimes fails to keep up with my USB keyboard connected with passive USB->PS2 connector.
But somehow I ended up in a completely different route and I'm now waiting for prototype PCBs for what should eventually become a replacement that plugs into the Eiffel socket..

- a1hid.JPG (44.41 KiB) Viewed 497 times
based on a CH559 microcontroller and aiming to be Eiffel compatible where it makes sense plus extended with some new features.
Ie; keep Eiffels custom protocols, support for uploading the same keymap files and settings and so on.
Initial proof of concept with mess-of-wires have been quite promising so far and I'm looking forward to getting the pcb to take it further.
The idea is that it will provide this when plugged into an A1 motherboard:
- 2x PS2 same as before
- 2x USB on internal header
- 2x Joystick ports as before but now with support for old Atari, and Amiga, mice in joyport0 (1)
- Support for second temperature sensor (2)
(1) requires bodge wire on A1 motherboard for right mouse button support.
(2) requires bodge wire on A1 motherboard to get 68060 core temperature reading.
Perhaps this would be dropped for the plugin version and only a thing on Raven rev.A2
Assuming this ends up working satisfactory I intend to have it built directly onto the next revision of Raven instead of Eiffel, and most likely get rid of the PS2 connector and use that space for a stacked 2xUSB+Ethernet connector instead.