Page 86 of 110

Re: REV 3 - REV 5 - The beginning (ST536)

Posted: 04 Dec 2025 20:49
by exxos
Experimented with enabling ST RAM cache (whether or not this is a good idea or not I don't know, but I did it anyway :lol: )

Before and after.

IMG_4113.JPG
IMG_4113.JPG (426.86 KiB) Viewed 577 times
IMG_4112.JPG
IMG_4112.JPG (369.14 KiB) Viewed 577 times

Frontbench gives 2992 frames without cache, with cache gives 3039 frames.

Re: REV 3 - REV 5 - The beginning (ST536)

Posted: 04 Dec 2025 21:01
by PhilC
@exxos @Badwolf I didn't reformat the card. I wrote a backup image on yo a new card. One from China buy a different brand. Same IDE driver, partition sizes etc, just a different CF card.

Re: REV 3 - REV 5 - The beginning (ST536)

Posted: 04 Dec 2025 21:07
by exxos
PhilC wrote: 04 Dec 2025 21:01 @exxos @Badwolf I didn't reformat the card. I wrote a backup image on yo a new card. One from China buy a different brand. Same IDE driver, partition sizes etc, just a different CF card.
What CF card was malfunctioning exactly then ?

Can you verify the backup image you took against the bad CF card ?

Re: REV 3 - REV 5 - The beginning (ST536)

Posted: 04 Dec 2025 21:45
by coonsgm
I'm running a slightly different version of the Beta5 firmware, but it's working fantastic so far. YAART TT Ram test made it through 7 passes before I stopped to run Gembench here. Now just running Frontbench on loop.

IMG_3918.jpeg
IMG_3918.jpeg (278.2 KiB) Viewed 564 times

Re: REV 3 - REV 5 - The beginning (ST536)

Posted: 04 Dec 2025 21:47
by exxos
coonsgm wrote: 04 Dec 2025 21:45 I'm running a slightly different version of the Beta5 firmware, but it's working fantastic so far. YAART TT Ram test made it through 7 passes before I stopped to run Gembench here. Now just running Frontbench on loop.
:goodpost: :bravo:


I put the Alliance SDRAM firmware on the website as well, seems to need slightly slower timings than the winbond I have been using. So your scores are slightly less than expected but not a huge difference than norm :) being stable is the key thing at this point anyway :)

Re: REV 3 - REV 5 - The beginning (ST536)

Posted: 04 Dec 2025 21:50
by coonsgm
Working in both my newest H5 and a Mega ST.

Re: REV 3 - REV 5 - The beginning (ST536)

Posted: 04 Dec 2025 21:52
by exxos
coonsgm wrote: 04 Dec 2025 21:50 Working in both my newest H5 and a Mega ST.
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Re: REV 3 - REV 5 - The beginning (ST536)

Posted: 05 Dec 2025 02:52
by coonsgm
Copied over 1gb of files from an ultrasatan connected to the ACSI to the internal IDE. No issues.

Day of the Tentacle runs great

IMG_3925.jpeg
IMG_3925.jpeg (280.53 KiB) Viewed 537 times

Grind / Dread runs wonderfully

IMG_3926.jpeg
IMG_3926.jpeg (291.87 KiB) Viewed 537 times

STDoom also runs just fine as well - at a playable framerate

IMG_3927.jpeg
IMG_3927.jpeg (330.86 KiB) Viewed 537 times

Re: REV 3 - REV 5 - The beginning (ST536)

Posted: 05 Dec 2025 09:37
by Badwolf
PhilC wrote: 04 Dec 2025 21:01 @exxos @Badwolf I didn't reformat the card. I wrote a backup image on yo a new card. One from China buy a different brand. Same IDE driver, partition sizes etc, just a different CF card.
Aha! So possibly incompatiblity with the card. That ties in with what @exxos found with one of mine.

BW

Re: REV 3 - REV 5 - The beginning (ST536)

Posted: 05 Dec 2025 11:33
by exxos
coonsgm wrote: 05 Dec 2025 02:52 Copied over 1gb of files from an ultrasatan connected to the ACSI to the internal IDE. No issues.
Good to know. I haven't even tested a ultrasatan yet..
Day of the Tentacle runs great
Grind / Dread runs wonderfully
STDoom also runs just fine as well - at a playable framerate
Nice!

I'm doing a little patch board.. Just as a tapped delay line, so I can fiddle with that clock a little bit more..
I'm tempted to put a buffer on the CPU clock as well.. its not helping matters exactly either.

IMG_4060.JPG
IMG_4060.JPG (68.59 KiB) Viewed 516 times