Page 86 of 212

Re: Stuff and Things.

Posted: 06 Apr 2022 19:15
by rubber_jonnie
It's the little things that keep you going :)

800XL LED problem was a crack in the ribbon, which I was able to bridge with solder:

PXL_20220406_175040678.jpg
PXL_20220406_175040678.jpg (168.32 KiB) Viewed 2671 times

Luckily it's heavy duty ribbon cable, so soldering was really quite easy.

All working now:

PXL_20220406_175624859.jpg
PXL_20220406_175624859.jpg (217.84 KiB) Viewed 2671 times

Happy days.

Add to that my 65XE mylar is actually in the UK, so fingers crossed will arrive by the weekend, The Dragon is now fixed, and I also managed to pick up a PSU for the NC-200, so I'm on a roll :)

That just leaves the VIC-20 VIC chip, which has been dispatched from the Netherlands, so maybe I'll get lucky with that at the weekend too, you never know.

Re: Stuff and Things.

Posted: 06 Apr 2022 20:51
by stephen_usher
:dualthumbup: :cheer: :yay2:

Re: Stuff and Things.

Posted: 06 Apr 2022 21:31
by rubber_jonnie
stephen_usher wrote: 06 Apr 2022 20:51 :dualthumbup: :cheer: :yay2:
Any luck with your outstanding stuff?

Re: Stuff and Things.

Posted: 06 Apr 2022 22:06
by stephen_usher
Nope!

Re: Stuff and Things.

Posted: 06 Apr 2022 22:30
by rubber_jonnie
stephen_usher wrote: 06 Apr 2022 22:06Nope!
Booo!!

Re: Stuff and Things.

Posted: 08 Apr 2022 13:01
by rubber_jonnie
Hooray!!!

The 65XE replacement mylar is here, all the way from the US:

PXL_20220408_115242751.jpg
PXL_20220408_115242751.jpg (273.22 KiB) Viewed 2620 times

So I can get the XE wrapped up over the weekend, though time may be limited due to gardening activities!!

Re: Stuff and Things.

Posted: 08 Apr 2022 14:05
by stephen_usher
:dualthumbup:

Re: Stuff and Things.

Posted: 08 Apr 2022 19:48
by mrbombermillzy
rubber_jonnie wrote: 08 Apr 2022 13:01
So I can get the XE wrapped up over the weekend, though time may be limited due to gardening activities!!
I take it you've already run out of room in the house and have resorted to burying your retro gear in the garden? :lol:

Re: Stuff and Things.

Posted: 08 Apr 2022 22:06
by rubber_jonnie
mrbombermillzy wrote: 08 Apr 2022 19:48
rubber_jonnie wrote: 08 Apr 2022 13:01
So I can get the XE wrapped up over the weekend, though time may be limited due to gardening activities!!
I take it you've already run out of room in the house and have resorted to burying your retro gear in the garden? :lol:
:lol:

Nope, still got plenty of room in the house, but perhaps I can persuade the wife to let me have a shed to store the overflow......

Re: Stuff and Things.

Posted: 08 Apr 2022 22:13
by rubber_jonnie
Aaaand, the XE is done:

PXL_20220408_210124061.jpg
PXL_20220408_210124061.jpg (236.16 KiB) Viewed 2573 times

All keys tested and working, most specifically the Reset key that was totally unresponsive.

A word of warning if you have a bad mylar, there are 2 keyboard types that I'm aware of (There could be more) for the XE.

There's the rubber dome type like I have, and the new mylar I could only find in the US from The Brewing Academy. I have to say it was shipped in a nice solid box, and arrived quicker than I expected, though it was quite expensive if you include shipping.

Then there is a type with springs under the keys, and the two mylars differ. I found this second type of mylar easily on eBay from UK based retro sellers.

Just be careful to identify your keyboard if like me your mylar has gone bad.