Page 8 of 41

Re: OSI 600D Superboard Build

Posted: 13 Jan 2024 19:42
by rubber_jonnie
stephen_usher wrote: 13 Jan 2024 18:52 We're all mad you know.
I know :)

Re: OSI 600D Superboard Build

Posted: 13 Jan 2024 20:54
by HigashiJun
:lol:

Re: OSI 600D Superboard Build

Posted: 14 Jan 2024 16:34
by rubber_jonnie
I got round to running the initial tests, and also confirmed there are no shorts on the 5v rail, so feeling confident I added the ICs I have to the board, and also the keycaps, since I only have 5 resistors left to install, and that's all the soldering done:

PXL_20240114_162252309.jpg
PXL_20240114_162252309.jpg (399.49 KiB) Viewed 1027 times

Looking pretty good, though not enough to power on and get any activity. I'm pleased with the outcome thus far, and given that the keycaps were a bit on the expensive side, very pleased with how that's turned out.

I also spent some time working out what ICs I need to order, and have managed to identify the items not on the BoM, but contained in the instructions. I also managed to populate a few more sockets I'd missed when going through the initial trawl of my stock of ICs.

Fingers crossed I will be somewhere close to running this beast by the end of January.

Re: OSI 600D Superboard Build

Posted: 14 Jan 2024 16:52
by stephen_usher
Nearly there!

Re: OSI 600D Superboard Build

Posted: 14 Jan 2024 17:05
by rubber_jonnie
stephen_usher wrote: 14 Jan 2024 16:52 Nearly there!
I can almost taste it!

Re: OSI 600D Superboard Build

Posted: 14 Jan 2024 19:06
by rubber_jonnie
Well, that's the last of the ICs ordered, it's just a waiting game now.

It's been a relatively expensive project, probably about £120 in components (Including what I've just ordered), another £40 for the PCB.

In total, including the key caps, I'd suggest it's about £300 to build, so a little more today than the £219+VAT @15% in 1979 for the UK-101, the equivalent machine over here.

However, the £250 ish total price back then is worth nearly £1600 in today's money. Luckily I've been able to spread the cost over a few months, so it hasn't been all or nothing.

It's a fun project if you like this sort of thing.

Re: OSI 600D Superboard Build

Posted: 14 Jan 2024 20:56
by stephen_usher
Keeps you out of mischief. ;-)

Re: OSI 600D Superboard Build

Posted: 14 Jan 2024 22:53
by rubber_jonnie
stephen_usher wrote: 14 Jan 2024 20:56 Keeps you out of mischief. ;-)
It certainly does 😁

Re: OSI 600D Superboard Build

Posted: 15 Jan 2024 04:43
by HigashiJun
The end soon ?

Re: OSI 600D Superboard Build

Posted: 15 Jan 2024 09:03
by rubber_jonnie
HigashiJun wrote: 15 Jan 2024 04:43 The end soon ?
Depends when my parts arrive. I think I will have enough for initial configuration of the video circuit and a full power on test this week, but I won't have all the RAM for a couple of weeks I think, though hopefully enough for a basic test.