Page 4 of 5

Re: Z80-MBC2

Posted: 21 Nov 2024 23:03
by rubber_jonnie
agranlund wrote: 21 Nov 2024 18:57 Nice!!
:cheers:
Thanks :)

There are a few expansion boards for it, so I'll have a look round and see what I can find :)

Re: Z80-MBC2

Posted: 22 Nov 2024 10:42
by PhilC
Great to see you've got it working RJ. I'll be interested to see what kind of upgrades are possible.

Re: Z80-MBC2

Posted: 22 Nov 2024 12:04
by rubber_jonnie
PhilC wrote: 22 Nov 2024 10:42 Great to see you've got it working RJ. I'll be interested to see what kind of upgrades are possible.
Yeah, pleased to have it running :)

There are a few things for it, like a VGA card, serial card (Not sure on this one, it already has serial), a parallel card plus mine has GPE built in, which is essentially like GPIO on the Pi.

Need to dig a bit deeper, see what keyboard options there are.

EDIT: The VGA board has a keyboard connector so that'll be on the list as it also provides a barrel jack for power as well so theres no reliance on power from the serial connector.

Re: Z80-MBC2

Posted: 22 Nov 2024 13:11
by rubber_jonnie
And here is a Mandelbrot image CP/M style:

IMG20241122125901.jpg
IMG20241122125901.jpg (292.8 KiB) Viewed 548 times

Re: Z80-MBC2

Posted: 27 Nov 2024 13:25
by rubber_jonnie
Well, this arrived today:

IMG20241127125440.jpg
IMG20241127125440.jpg (261.14 KiB) Viewed 525 times

Which should give VGA out and keyboard connection to the Z80-MBC2.

Need to get a BoM for it but I expect I may already have many parts in stock. Came supplied with a pre programmed ST32 :)

Re: Z80-MBC2

Posted: 27 Nov 2024 17:27
by guus.assmann
Nice bit, works like a charm.

You might also have a look at: https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/foru ... 77&start=0&
This should be an even faster Z80 system.
I've ordered PCB's at JLCPCB and the chipset through E-Bay.
Hope it works as well, once I have the stuff.

BR/
Guus

Re: Z80-MBC2

Posted: 27 Nov 2024 18:47
by rubber_jonnie
guus.assmann wrote: 27 Nov 2024 17:27 Nice bit, works like a charm.

You might also have a look at: https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/foru ... 77&start=0&
This should be an even faster Z80 system.
I've ordered PCB's at JLCPCB and the chipset through E-Bay.
Hope it works as well, once I have the stuff.

BR/
Guus
Looks nice Guus, though I'm not sure with my project list I need another :)

Should hopefully have this built soon :)

Re: Z80-MBC2

Posted: 02 Dec 2024 10:51
by rubber_jonnie
OK, so I have all the parts I don't have for the VGA board on order now, so fingers crossed they'll all be here in the next week or so and I can get it built before Xmas :)

I will likely start with the parts I have and get it started so I can just add as I go along.

Build Pics to follow.

Re: Z80-MBC2

Posted: 03 Dec 2024 22:43
by rubber_jonnie
Well, the VGA board is coming along nicely, hopefully the rest of the parts will be here soon :)

IMG20241203223714.jpg
IMG20241203223714.jpg (294.33 KiB) Viewed 466 times

I'm hoping they are all here for the weekend, but my Saturday is out as I am at a karate grading, but it would be good to get it finished on Sunday if the parts arrive.

Re: Z80-MBC2

Posted: 08 Dec 2024 17:11
by rubber_jonnie
So, the VGA board is complete!!! Here it is all hooked up:


IMG20241208165143.jpg
IMG20241208165143.jpg (313.98 KiB) Viewed 422 times


Screen output is very clear and sharp, with multiple screen colours available:

Green

IMG20241208165149.jpg
IMG20241208165149.jpg (262.04 KiB) Viewed 422 times

Amber

IMG20241208165244.jpg
IMG20241208165244.jpg (240.2 KiB) Viewed 422 times

White

IMG20241208165322.jpg
IMG20241208165322.jpg (216.91 KiB) Viewed 422 times

Blue

IMG20241208165456.jpg
IMG20241208165456.jpg (236.25 KiB) Viewed 422 times

All colours being selected via combinations of these jumpers by the VGA socket:

IMG20241208165525.jpg
IMG20241208165525.jpg (308.16 KiB) Viewed 422 times

The 7805 heatsink is temporary one as I'm waiting on a better one to arrive. However I may just get a Traco and have done with it.

Pretty pleased with the results overall.