Page 4 of 7
Re: AtariFox STFM service blog
Posted: 13 Sep 2020 20:52
by Steve
BLOG UPDATE:
Never say never!
I really dislike giving up and so does AtariFox so we're persevering. The board will be recapped and a floppy header will be installed so we can test a new cable.
Motherboard recapping:

- IMG_20200913_185310.jpg (468.54 KiB) Viewed 4561 times
Motherboard recapping:

- IMG_20200913_185323.jpg (486.39 KiB) Viewed 4561 times
Motherboard recapping:

- IMG_20200913_185327.jpg (403.8 KiB) Viewed 4561 times
Time to socket the 7406:

- IMG_20200913_193404.jpg (381.28 KiB) Viewed 4561 times
Lets try a new 7406 chip:

- IMG_20200913_194033.jpg (378.98 KiB) Viewed 4561 times
OH joy:

- IMG_20200913_194326.jpg (509.49 KiB) Viewed 4561 times
Not all is lost... we have the floppy header to fit next. Fingers crossed.
Re: AtariFox STFM service blog
Posted: 13 Sep 2020 20:54
by Cosmic Puppet
Nice one!
Re: AtariFox STFM service blog
Posted: 13 Sep 2020 21:36
by exxos
I would also check BGACK,BG,BR on the CPU make sure they have pullups and (maybe 10K I forget) and make sure the switching is good... Also check A1 on the DMA.. I have had that cause no end of DMA issues...
Re: AtariFox STFM service blog
Posted: 13 Sep 2020 21:45
by Steve
exxos wrote: 13 Sep 2020 21:36
I would also check BGACK,BG,BR on the CPU make sure they have pullups and (maybe 10K I forget) and make sure the switching is good... Also check A1 on the DMA.. I have had that cause no end of DMA issues...
Alrighty cheers, I'll test everything.
Re: AtariFox STFM service blog
Posted: 13 Sep 2020 22:09
by PhilC
Watching with interest as I got this far with one of my Megas
Re: AtariFox STFM service blog
Posted: 14 Sep 2020 14:53
by Steve
Re: AtariFox STFM service blog
Posted: 14 Sep 2020 14:59
by exxos
Pins 4 isn't used so hack it off :lol:

- Capture.JPG (45.14 KiB) Viewed 4512 times
Re: AtariFox STFM service blog
Posted: 14 Sep 2020 15:03
by czietz
https://old.pinouts.ru/HD/InternalDisk_pinout.shtml wrote:
On some mainboards pin 3 is used as the key (missing pin) and on some pin 5 is used as the key pin, while a lot of mainboards dont have the key pin removed at all. This can all cause problems when using cables which have the key pin hole closed. As all odd pins are ground there are no technical implications in modifying such cables by removing the key pin closure by force.
I chose to buy floppy cables without blocked pin holes, instead.
Re: AtariFox STFM service blog
Posted: 14 Sep 2020 15:20
by Steve
Cheers guys!
Re: AtariFox STFM service blog
Posted: 14 Sep 2020 16:28
by Steve
New floppy header and cable installed. Still no dice 😞
Time to try Exxos other suggestions.

- IMG_20200914_162614.jpg (357.03 KiB) Viewed 4498 times