Page 4 of 6

Re: Damage done to my STE

Posted: 19 Sep 2019 10:34
by DoG
First clean the area with IPA and a toothbrush or something similar to see the damage more clearly. Or is that the state of the board efter cleaning?

Re: Damage done to my STE

Posted: 19 Sep 2019 11:35
by exxos
Bikerbob sent me this image of the trashed ROM board... So I just dumped the layer stack below as it should help see what is damaged or not.


trashed.jpg
trashed.jpg (303.64 KiB) Viewed 4589 times

Each layer listed is with the fill on and off. The fills will mostly be 0V. One fill on layer 2 will be for 5v.

1.JPG
1.JPG (184.64 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
1f.JPG
1f.JPG (173.81 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (171.72 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
2f.JPG
2f.JPG (306.35 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (165.27 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
3f.JPG
3f.JPG (215.67 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (176.76 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
4f.JPG
4f.JPG (186.97 KiB) Viewed 4589 times

Re: Damage done to my STE

Posted: 19 Sep 2019 14:19
by Bikerbob
Thanks so much guys..

WOW Chris.. Layers.. oh no.. thats beyond me..

So I repaired the switcher.. only lost the one pad.. which I think on that bottom layer was not attached to anything ..

So when I boot.. powers up.. just black screen.

wiring on the back is as follows

w103 pin2 to 3 w103 pin3 to Tos HI 32

Tos HI 2 to C114 top to Tos Low 24

I will do my investigating.. but these are the trouble areas.

https://ibb.co/album/n8eXgF

James

switcher1.jpg
switcher1.jpg (144.91 KiB) Viewed 4580 times
switcher2.jpg
switcher2.jpg (109.19 KiB) Viewed 4580 times
!Message from: Moderator
@Bikerbob, we have placed your attachments in-line so they display correctly in your post. Here's the how-to guide.

Re: Damage done to my STE

Posted: 19 Sep 2019 18:21
by Bikerbob
derkom wrote: 19 Sep 2019 08:32 This should be pretty easy to do with the schematic. I was checking these same connections myself on my own STe just the other day, when trying to diagnose a TOS switcher problem (which turned out to be I'd forgotten to hook up the floppy drive :oops:). I was looking at your photo and decided I was too confused when one of those bodges seemed to be connecting one of the address lines to ground. :mrgreen:
Are you saying that if the TOS switcher is in.. and there is no floppy connected to the cable that there would be boot issues?? but not at the point I am at correct??

you would get a screen etc??

Because I dont have a floppy connected in testing this.

James

Re: Damage done to my STE

Posted: 19 Sep 2019 18:32
by Bikerbob
So looking at your trace drawings Chris.

Pin 15 on the LO - which is the one I pulled the top (under the pins) pad off.. is connected to the ROM in layer 2 - and then on layer 4 just to a via to another pin on the ROM.. so.. if those two connections are good.. then I think I should have gotten away with this one. (The Switcher)

James

Re: Damage done to my STE

Posted: 19 Sep 2019 18:44
by exxos
With the signal layers all on, this is pin 15..

all.jpg
all.jpg (155.07 KiB) Viewed 4564 times

Re: Damage done to my STE

Posted: 19 Sep 2019 18:58
by Bikerbob
Ok, I am not an expert, but looking at layer 2 I see this.

2f.JPG
2f.JPG (296.44 KiB) Viewed 4561 times

and of course what you pointed out..

all.jpg
all.jpg (149.33 KiB) Viewed 4561 times

Im I seeing it right??

James

Re: Damage done to my STE

Posted: 19 Sep 2019 20:10
by exxos
444.jpg
444.jpg (118.16 KiB) Viewed 4553 times
555.jpg
555.jpg (112.14 KiB) Viewed 4553 times

Re: Damage done to my STE

Posted: 19 Sep 2019 20:16
by rubber_jonnie
Ok, here's a closeup of my STE jumpers if it helps:

jumpers2.jpg
jumpers2.jpg (119.28 KiB) Viewed 4550 times

Re: Damage done to my STE

Posted: 19 Sep 2019 20:47
by Bikerbob
exxos wrote: 19 Sep 2019 20:10 444.jpg


555.jpg
Sorry Chris, I dont understand just 2 pictures? So your saying there is only the one trace that goes to the Via to the other side.. thats it?

James