Page 296 of 296

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Posted: 11 Oct 2026 10:50
by stephen_usher
rubber_jonnie wrote: 11 Oct 2026 09:25
stephen_usher wrote: 11 Oct 2026 09:20
Putting a load on the power supply and looking at it using a scope showed that the output smoothing cap isn't doing its job any more and there's massive ripple.
Any chance you might be able to replace just that capacitor if the potting compound plays ball?

Though my temptation would be a full re-cap.
Unfortunately the PCB is the “right way up” so the PCB is on the bottom. All the potting compound will need to be removed or liquified to get it out of the case and access the components.

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Posted: 11 Oct 2026 12:15
by rubber_jonnie
stephen_usher wrote: 11 Oct 2026 10:50
rubber_jonnie wrote: 11 Oct 2026 09:25

Any chance you might be able to replace just that capacitor if the potting compound plays ball?

Though my temptation would be a full re-cap.
Unfortunately the PCB is the “right way up” so the PCB is on the bottom. All the potting compound will need to be removed or liquified to get it out of the case and access the components.
I do so hate potting compound 😒

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Posted: 11 Oct 2026 12:25
by stephen_usher
I think what I’m going to do is get a disposable baking tray and put the unit on stands so that the putty can run down into the tray and then bake it in the oven at about 100C and see if gravity can be my friend.

I can’t do that until at least tomorrow though.

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Posted: 11 Oct 2026 12:27
by PhilC
I'll be looking on with interest as I've got a couple of PSUs with similar. The C64 ones might be different though as it looks like a resin.