Page 296 of 338
Re: exxos blog - random goings on
Posted: 13 Oct 2023 13:36
by stephen_usher
Just remember to put any stresses along the layers and not across the layers as the tensile strength between layers if a fraction of the along layer strength.
Re: exxos blog - random goings on
Posted: 13 Oct 2023 13:58
by exxos
stephen_usher wrote: 13 Oct 2023 13:36
Just remember to put any stresses along the layers and not across the layers as the tensile strength between layers if a fraction of the along layer strength.
Pretty much all the stress is going on "compression" of the plastic. It is clamped either by the base of the chair or the M10 bolts. So there is nowhere for it to really snap.
The stress point would likely be because the piston is slightly tapered and it could physically pull apart the plastic block. But even so ,it has nowhere to go anyway. So even if it's strained and cracked it probably would still hold. If it breaks too much then the piston would drop through the centre and hit the "button" and raise the chair up (as ordinarily done with the lever).
I think even if the last six months it would still last longer than the metal part anyway. I will print out a spare as well and just see how it goes. It probably uses about £5 of PETG. So a lot cheaper than buying a new chair every year.
My next plan to get 2 huge bearings and just get a huge bolt to clamp the both together instead of using a piston :lol:
Re: exxos blog - random goings on
Posted: 13 Oct 2023 15:50
by exxos
Re: exxos blog - random goings on
Posted: 13 Oct 2023 16:03
by exxos
Just tried to print my next block some bizarre reason the printer decided to totally unload the filament :WTF:
I loaded it back in again and when I went to print again it did exactly the same :pullhair: :headbang:

- IMG_1412.JPG (267.3 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Re: exxos blog - random goings on
Posted: 13 Oct 2023 17:42
by exxos
I think this one is looking a lot better with more infill than shells.

- IMG_1413.JPG (166.52 KiB) Viewed 1355 times

- IMG_1415.JPG (123.09 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
EDIT:
But oddly the sides don't look as smooth now :shrug:
Re: exxos blog - random goings on
Posted: 13 Oct 2023 21:01
by exxos
New block done and this one fits right!
Not going to start drilling the metal base until Monday has had enough for one week :)

- IMG_1416.JPG (141.31 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
Re: exxos blog - random goings on
Posted: 16 Oct 2023 11:41
by exxos
Re: exxos blog - random goings on
Posted: 16 Oct 2023 14:01
by exxos
Gigafile repair continues.

- IMG_1436.JPG (349.88 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
Thought I would be clever and remove the top cover so I can get at the pins better. Did not realise there was going to be spring in the clip thing on the thing which then took about 20 minutes to figure out how to put all back together again :roll:

- IMG_1437.JPG (392.42 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
Soldered up.

- IMG_1438.JPG (409.37 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
There are no pads to solder the front part on as they had previously ripped off anyway.

- IMG_1439.JPG (431.19 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
I was thinking of placing some printed block internally to press the PCB against the top of the case as this would then help to hold the SD socket to the case. BUT..

- IMG_1440.JPG (200.09 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
The case itself does not actually seem to hold molecular cohesion anyway :roll:

- IMG_1441.JPG (177.62 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
Then the light pipe finally gave up the ghost and fell off :roll:

- IMG_1442.JPG (333.13 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
So I have used gorilla glue to glue the light pipe back on. Also put loads of gorilla glue down the sides of the SD card socket. I don't think there is realistically anything else I can do to reinforce it all.
EDIT:
ahh, so I think when the bolts go in, it stretches the hole and clamps the case together. So as there are some jumper pads which are not used, I think I can print a block to go there and press against the case to reinforce it.

- IMG_1443.JPG (218.03 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Re: exxos blog - random goings on
Posted: 16 Oct 2023 16:21
by exxos
Spacer printed. All back together. It seems the case can still be separated even though it is screwed together :roll: but anyway, one of the screws fell on the floor and of course vaporised :roll:

- IMG_1448.JPG (177.31 KiB) Viewed 1240 times

- IMG_1449.JPG (202.91 KiB) Viewed 1240 times

- IMG_1450.JPG (220.68 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
Next time I get a ST connected up I will give it a try and see the thing actually works.
Next up I need to connect my solder paste printer up. As the paste has been in the fridge for three years I pretty much can assume it has gone off :roll:
Re: exxos blog - random goings on
Posted: 17 Oct 2023 11:35
by exxos
Some good packing from JLC here.. but why so big when its the Falcon RTC boards ?!

- IMG_1454.JPG (365.38 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
:pullhair: So now I have to break apart 100 boards FFS! Why does everything have to be maximum effort all the time :headbang:

- IMG_1455.JPG (306.21 KiB) Viewed 1238 times

- IMG_1456.JPG (292.71 KiB) Viewed 1238 times