Page 294 of 294

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Posted: 28 Sep 2026 16:49
by PhilC
Good that the ram is now stable, that's annoying about the keyboard.

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Posted: 28 Sep 2026 17:57
by stephen_usher
Yeah, and "load" programs aren't loading from tape but short ones are. Possible bank switching issues as well?

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Posted: 28 Sep 2026 19:02
by rubber_jonnie
stephen_usher wrote: 28 Sep 2026 17:57 Yeah, and "load" programs aren't loading from tape but short ones are. Possible bank switching issues as well?
Doesn't sound like you're having much luck with it!

What looks after the bank switching and how does the machine determine which bank the code goes into? I presume it bank switches anything above 64KB or is it anythig over 48KB?

I'm sure it isn't, but have you tried a different ROM, the original one I made for my Enterprise cause a ton of weirdness and it was fixed by burning a new ROM.

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Posted: 28 Sep 2026 21:35
by stephen_usher
This is probably why the bus isn't getting held up correctly... The cursor signal from the 6845 never overlaps with the pulse allowing the 4538 to raise the bus request line. They miss by about 2.8uS.

IMG_5418.jpeg
IMG_5418.jpeg (172.66 KiB) Viewed 7 times

@rubber_jonnie I've tried rewriting the ROMs but there's only one set of images I can find on the Internet.

From what I can work out the bank switching is done using an I/O port. On the 96K it swaps the ROMs in and out and overlays memory on top of those addresses.