Page 28 of 66
Re: exxos's DFB1 trials
Posted: 18 Nov 2022 16:52
by exxos
So this is what page 2 looks like :lol:

- IMG_0284.JPG (254.43 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
:dizzy:
Re: exxos's DFB1 trials
Posted: 18 Nov 2022 18:10
by dml
Yep, and don't expect it to get any less weird with the next one.
Does the FPU actually heat up running that or is it quite happy?
Re: exxos's DFB1 trials
Posted: 18 Nov 2022 18:17
by exxos
dml wrote: 18 Nov 2022 18:10
Yep, and don't expect it to get any less weird with the next one.
I stopped it at this point because I went for tea...

- IMG_0285.JPG (242.73 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
dml wrote: 18 Nov 2022 18:10
Does the FPU actually heat up running that or is it quite happy?
Will get back on that one. I think it just goes slightly warm.
I just swapped out the oscillator for the one which is 40MHz.. well its 39.80MHz.. so I *think* that may work...
And off it goes... Definitely a LOT faster than 25MHz :lol: :fire: :fire: :fire: :hide:
I think it would still take forever to draw a screen even with with a 400MHz FPU :lol: Though we could run a bank of FPU's, that be cool :P BadMooD with dual FPU.. ;)
Re: exxos's DFB1 trials
Posted: 18 Nov 2022 21:52
by exxos
Re: exxos's DFB1 trials
Posted: 18 Nov 2022 22:38
by dml
I'd call that config stable, whatever it is for today :-P
Re: exxos's DFB1 trials
Posted: 18 Nov 2022 23:44
by exxos
dml wrote: 18 Nov 2022 22:38
I'd call that config stable, whatever it is for today :-P
8-) :lol:
Yeah I've got an antenna linked to the FPU clock which is positioned at a particular angle of the PSU core, so that when the inverse flux of the core is picked up, it smooths out the noise in the clock helping keep it stable. :D
Re: exxos's DFB1 trials
Posted: 19 Nov 2022 11:45
by Badwolf
exxos wrote: 18 Nov 2022 15:30
My multimeter shows about 4.89V.
On the scope.. 10ms /timebase
Multimeter shows 5.014/5.
Scope shot to come.
FWIW, Mandelbox took 50:25 minutes to render this at 50/25MHz.

- IMG_6019.jpg (224.14 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
Got myself a dedicated oscillator matched to my FPU too.

- IMG_6018.jpg (93.97 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
Also, BTW, hooked this up as a quick test late last night. It's Orion_'s SD card hack. Six Dupont wires and a 5V SD module. Writing is a bit hit-and-miss, but 700kbps reading with DFB1 and will let you copy a from PC-formatted (FAT16, mind) partitions faster than floppy access. I'm thinking about your Doom transfer :)
https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 83#p434183

- IMG_6017.jpg (171.49 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
With EmuTOS or MiNT it'll speak to larger partition sizes too. Handy hack.
BW
PS: and yes, I'm already thinking about if I can attach it to DFB1 with a suitable software hack ;)
Re: exxos's DFB1 trials
Posted: 19 Nov 2022 12:44
by exxos
I need to sort out my CF card then file transfer is easy. But the PC seems to trash the card and then isn't read on the falcon. Maybe some software keeps deciding to "fix" the card.
I've boxed up the DFB1 with a couple of 100pf caps, 50mhz OSC, A spar tested 40mhz FPU and a non-exciting mystery item.
Re: exxos's DFB1 trials
Posted: 19 Nov 2022 20:45
by Badwolf
@dml, if I know anything about fractals, I suspect each render has a completely different draw time on account of it varying what is being shown, but I do wonder if I made a mistake earlier and quoted a 50/16 minutes-per-frame figure of 50.
I've removed R18 and added my 30MHz FPU oscillator and have left this running for about two and a half hours. Currently it's averaging about 32 minutes per frame. Pretty decent improvement and in line with a 30MHz to 16MHz ratio.

- IMG_6021.jpg (128.42 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
Now I really want to get this board back into 'stock' configuration to let me swap it with Exxos, but I was keen to try this out. :)
BW
Re: exxos's DFB1 trials
Posted: 19 Nov 2022 20:47
by Badwolf
exxos wrote: 19 Nov 2022 12:44
I need to sort out my CF card then file transfer is easy. But the PC seems to trash the card and then isn't read on the falcon. Maybe some software keeps deciding to "fix" the card.
Atari IDE is wonky, so I'm impressed you have anything that works like that (short of EmuTOS), TBH.
I've boxed up the DFB1 with a couple of 100pf caps, 50mhz OSC, A spar tested 40mhz FPU and a non-exciting mystery item.
Cool. I'll get this one back into stock condition and send it back in the same box. Swapsies.
BW