Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Posted: 31 Dec 2025 22:25
An update on the Mach64 testing: Since I was a little bit un-sure about the status of my card, I tested it using my TT + NOVA. Initially I had some troubles getting it to work with Joebar's latest driver, but after testing with version TT_Mach64_V3.01 it worked really good. I also added some extra DIP RAM IC's to get 2 MB of mem, since I had empty sockets on the board. That also worked perfectly and I could run 1280x1024x256, which was really beautiful :)
Since it's driver version 3.03 in the Raven distro, I of course wanted to try with driver version 3.01, and the results were quite good. There is still something very unstable when executing the VGA BIOS. First boot it said "No VGA bios detected" and it didn't seem to work at all. Second boot it sorta worked, but the display was offset in Y direction by like -100 pixels or something (notice that the mouser cursor is not offset):
Third boot was the charm, and it worked perfectly:
The instabilities could of course be related to my Raven, I haven't really had a chance to stress test it yet. With the Mach32 however it seems to be quite stable. It seems to fail when initialising NOVA from a cold boot every once in a while (garbled screen), but haven't seen any oddities related to VGA BIOS. With the Mach64 VGA BIOS seems to be sometimes not detected at all, sometimes taking a very long time to execute (like 30+ s) and sometimes executes in a few seconds. However it never prints out anything (like the model of the card) and it always says 8-bit vgamem.
I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough to draw any smart conclusions from the above... Do the NOVA drivers depend on VGA BIOS set-up at all or are they supposed to be able to set everything up on their own? If they are supposed to be totally decoupled from VGA BIOS I guess the VGA BIOS instability might not be the cause of the NOVA start-up instability. Maybe some general instability when accessing video card registers which gets much worse with the Mach64 than with the Mach32?
Hope all of you have a Happy New Year!!
Since it's driver version 3.03 in the Raven distro, I of course wanted to try with driver version 3.01, and the results were quite good. There is still something very unstable when executing the VGA BIOS. First boot it said "No VGA bios detected" and it didn't seem to work at all. Second boot it sorta worked, but the display was offset in Y direction by like -100 pixels or something (notice that the mouser cursor is not offset):
Third boot was the charm, and it worked perfectly:
The instabilities could of course be related to my Raven, I haven't really had a chance to stress test it yet. With the Mach32 however it seems to be quite stable. It seems to fail when initialising NOVA from a cold boot every once in a while (garbled screen), but haven't seen any oddities related to VGA BIOS. With the Mach64 VGA BIOS seems to be sometimes not detected at all, sometimes taking a very long time to execute (like 30+ s) and sometimes executes in a few seconds. However it never prints out anything (like the model of the card) and it always says 8-bit vgamem.
I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough to draw any smart conclusions from the above... Do the NOVA drivers depend on VGA BIOS set-up at all or are they supposed to be able to set everything up on their own? If they are supposed to be totally decoupled from VGA BIOS I guess the VGA BIOS instability might not be the cause of the NOVA start-up instability. Maybe some general instability when accessing video card registers which gets much worse with the Mach64 than with the Mach32?
Hope all of you have a Happy New Year!!