Page 130 of 167
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Posted: 09 Dec 2025 00:15
by luciodra
With these latest updates my system has gone crazy and I see some strange things... tomorrow morning with a little calm... maybe there is too much stuff in the AUTO directory.
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Posted: 10 Dec 2025 08:35
by luciodra
The problem is caused by the rvbios, which I can't update. I mean, I was supposed to update rvbios before reprogramming the rom, etc. Right now I can't get rvbios onto the Atari filesystem. In fact, with the other FAT adapter, I was able to rewrite everything from the PC and it works fine.
I have a few doubts:
- Is there a way to read a real Atari hard drive (not FAT) from PC, Mac, Linux, Amiga? I don't think so...
- At the moment, I removed OPLMIDI from AUTO, but I no longer get audio from Picogus;
- To get peak performance, do I always need to have CACHEON in AUTO, or can I launch it after boot?
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Posted: 10 Dec 2025 08:43
by LarryL
You could use the serial connection and then Zmodem to sent files from a PC/Mac to the Raven
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Posted: 10 Dec 2025 09:13
by agranlund
luciodra wrote: 10 Dec 2025 08:35
- At the moment, I removed OPLMIDI from AUTO, but I no longer get audio from Picogus;
Did you do these steps?
- put rvsnd.prg in c:\auto
- put rvsnd.inf in c:\
- you'll then want to edit rvsnd.inf, and under the [midi] section, replace
with
- if you need to run pgusinit every time for it to 'start' then it should run before rvsnd.prg
(sorry, not sure off the top of my head if it's a one-time configuration tool or if it needs to run at every boot. I suspect it is the former)
- and you'll want isabios to run before those above programs which is using the isa bus.
If you enter the EmuTOS commandline, then go to c:\rvsnd and run 'rvsctrl devs', do you see opl under the list of chips as well as midi?
- To get peak performance, do I always need to have CACHEON in AUTO, or can I launch it after boot?
You can get rid of it completely.
If you have the 'cache' option turned on in the EmuTOS menu then EmuTOS will enable caches for you automatically.
The on/off programs are mostly there in case you need manual control for some particular reason.
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Posted: 10 Dec 2025 09:21
by agranlund
LarryL wrote: 10 Dec 2025 08:43
You could use the serial connection and then Zmodem to sent files from a PC/Mac to the Raven
Yep, there should be a serial transfer program included on the romdisk which should be your last drive letter.
With that you can send files over using CoolTerm.
If you already have UIP installed and a network card then that's another and faster option to transfer files.
I am not having very much luck with Filezilla against the UIP ftp server but that's probably on me not configuring something correctly..
I've mostly been using standard ftp on the commandline, as well as ncftp.
But then I only just recently realized that my favourite file manager Midnight Commander has FTP support built-in so that's what I'm using now :)
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Posted: 10 Dec 2025 10:36
by luciodra
Thanks, and almost everything is clear. The problem is that I should have updated the software before updating the ROM, because at the moment uiptool and serial return TOS error 35.
With the CF on FAT, everything works fine...
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Posted: 10 Dec 2025 14:26
by agranlund
luciodra wrote: 10 Dec 2025 10:36
Thanks, and almost everything is clear. The problem is that I should have updated the software before updating the ROM, because at the moment uiptool and serial return TOS error 35.
With the CF on FAT, everything works fine...
Oh, even if you run with nothing in the auto folder (not even rvbios.prg) ?
And just to clarify 100%, you get tos error 35 even when running ymodem.tos from the romdisk too?
There should be a readme file that comes along with the ymodem program but going off memory I think you just do this from the EmuTOS commandline:
Assuming you want c:\mystuff to be the download folder, and that the folder actually exists already.
When running the program from romdisk you will need to give it some path to a writable folder.
Without arguments it should write the files to <currrent folder> but the romdisk itself is read-only so that won't work.
Then use CoolTerm to send one or multiple files. Make sure to pick YModem as the transfer protocol.
Those files should end up in c:\mystuff for the example above.
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Posted: 10 Dec 2025 16:55
by luciodra
When there is no CF connected everything works fine.
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Posted: 11 Dec 2025 00:14
by agranlund
I'm sorry if I'm having a hard time pinpointing exactly the issues, and results of your test scenarios.
The problem is caused by the rvbios, which I can't update. I mean, I was supposed to update rvbios before reprogramming the rom, etc. Right now I can't get rvbios onto the Atari filesystem.
In fact, with the other FAT adapter, I was able to rewrite everything from the PC and it works fine.
I read this as you have tried two scenarios, both with the new ROM flashed to the machine?
1) with your existing cf-card that is TOS formatted, using the bs adapter
2) with a cf-card that is FAT formatted and with all the latest software
In (1) the system "has gone crazy", but that says almost nothing :)
You mention TOS error 35 when trying to run two different programs. Just those two, or any program?
Since you suspect it's because of the old version of rvbios.prg; did you try with nothing in the AUTO folder of your cf-card (not even rvbios.prg), and with that super-clean boot using ymodem.tos (from the rom-disk) so that you can transfer the new files over?
Or did you actually get TOS error 35 even when running things from the rom-disk too?
In (2) everything is working as expected. And this is with the ROM + Software from the latest release package?
Re: Raven. A homemade Atari-like computer
Posted: 11 Dec 2025 07:52
by luciodra
It's hard to explain in words...
Scenario 1: CF without BS and everything updated (ROM, software, etc.) everything works as usual.
Scenario 2: SD formatted with TOS, with BS and everything updated but not the software, nothing works, it opens directories with altered names, etc. I tried renaming AUTO to AUTO.OLD but everything stays the same.
I already know that the next step is to start from scratch. Format and partition the SD and put everything back as it was... If only there was something that could read the TOS partitions from a PC, because I would like to write the updated software without reformatting everything.