Page 12 of 20
Re: Fixing my Milan 040 (or not) blog
Posted: 24 Jun 2025 15:16
by exxos
alexh wrote: 24 Jun 2025 15:05
If you had a spare 060
Nope, but thanks, wasn't aware of that project :)
Re: Fixing my Milan 040 (or not) blog
Posted: 24 Jun 2025 15:18
by exxos
SteveBagley wrote: 24 Jun 2025 15:13
So a single beep sounds positive. Looking at the source, the next thing the bootblock does is try and initialise the keyboard, which is on the SuperIO chip so I suspect it might be stuck waiting for that to respond (which is difficult if it is removed :P).
Quite possible :lol: Whoever updated the stuff must have never thought that chips will be missing from the motherboard :lol:
Good it booted with the original stuff though! I might have given up otherwise!
Re: Fixing my Milan 040 (or not) blog
Posted: 24 Jun 2025 15:32
by exxos
So BB104 is test_20060514.zip I dismissed it before as it said TEST :lol: 104 doesn't work either.
But next I need to fix a broken track, gunk up the solder resist I scraped off. Possibly replace the vertical simm socket.. much to do yet :)
Re: Fixing my Milan 040 (or not) blog
Posted: 24 Jun 2025 15:53
by exxos
Repairing the track I cut while diagnosing the problem .

- IMG_3451.JPG (397.82 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Bit of a fiberpen cleanup.

- IMG_3452.JPG (409.13 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Solder blob over the cut.

- IMG_3453.JPG (421.78 KiB) Viewed 457 times
New resign.

- IMG_3454.JPG (395.01 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Put on a gentle simmer until I remember to turn it off or the battery goes flat...

- IMG_3455.JPG (288.63 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Will go on a hunt for SIMM sockets now..
Re: Fixing my Milan 040 (or not) blog
Posted: 24 Jun 2025 17:00
by exxos
The "wrong" vertical simm socket..

- IMG_3457.JPG (334.81 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Thought I better clean out my solder station before starting another job!

- IMG_3456.JPG (281.72 KiB) Viewed 444 times

- IMG_3458.JPG (256.5 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Outwith the old.. Hopefully those damaged vias are not important!
Looks like 11 & 12.. 11 is NC and 12 is A0 :roll: But its pad and track on the bottom seems fine. So "not important" at this point in time..

- IMG_3459.JPG (266.31 KiB) Viewed 444 times
In with the new 45° socket... Which will no doubt set of some people's OCD ! :lol: but I'm not changing the other three SIMM sockets I cannot be bothered :lol:

- IMG_3460.JPG (432.66 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Now cooking the other resist I scraped off yesterday..

- IMG_3461.JPG (386.11 KiB) Viewed 444 times

- IMG_3462.JPG (369.09 KiB) Viewed 444 times

- IMG_3463.JPG (329.82 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Need to find a new battery.. New PCI socket (ordered from aliexpress just ).
Probably not much else I can do until my replacement chip comes now :(
I do need to figure out how to actually connect a keyboard to this thing at some point though! And how the hell do you connect a mouse even ?! :lol:
Also does anyone know what form factor this motherboard is, is it a mini-ATX ? Will need to find the smallest case possible to fit it all in at some point as well..
EDIT:
Maybe a cheap case like this would do ...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/286152040992
Re: Fixing my Milan 040 (or not) blog
Posted: 24 Jun 2025 17:35
by peters
This might be available online but I have the paper manual in German.
The DIN socket is the keyboard, you can use a DIN to PS2 adapter.
The mouse connects to an 8 pin connector just next to the pci slots. There should be a short internal connection cable.

- IMG_20250624_173407253.jpg (207.26 KiB) Viewed 432 times
Re: Fixing my Milan 040 (or not) blog
Posted: 24 Jun 2025 17:43
by peters
I can't see any mention of the form factor but I think it is full size AT.
Re: Fixing my Milan 040 (or not) blog
Posted: 24 Jun 2025 17:51
by exxos
It must be designed to use one of these...

- s-l1600.jpg (46.16 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Probably had one years ago, brand new and chucked it away at some point :lol: :roll:
Can only seem to find them in the USA :roll:
Re: Fixing my Milan 040 (or not) blog
Posted: 24 Jun 2025 18:17
by peters
I actually drilled a hole in the back panel and got rid of the slot plate.
Re: Fixing my Milan 040 (or not) blog
Posted: 24 Jun 2025 18:26
by exxos
Looks like it will cost about £30 to get a bracket with PS2 connector and cable :roll: cannot even find them on Ali express.
Anyway, I have asked my UK broker for a price on the MC68040RC40 mask L88M.. They only deal with genuine parts.. But the price will probably be insanely high, but no harm in asking..... I have asked the prices for 5 and 10 pcs. No use asking for lower amounts.
I think this was the thread I was looking at regarding fake CPUs
https://tinkerdifferent.com/threads/ide ... -mask.820/