Re: Learning to solder
Posted: 01 Oct 2026 03:31
Thank you so much for all the comments and suggestions. They are indeed extremely helpful and encouraging. The actual result for this experiment still remains to be seen. My talent for breaking things with by bare hands is legendary, you could image what I could break with a soldering iron :)
About the gloves and the lead. It was a misunderstanding. I don't care (too much) about the lead. The reason for the gloves was for avoiding the sticky oily flux in my hands. When it happened to me I thought this was a pretty common issue. But you say it should be not, and that there is normally no need to use flux anyway for typical THT stuff.
Ok, but in some cases you do use flux, right? Let's say to desolder a chip or a socket in an old and may be even rusty Atari. Still you don't get your hands oily? May be I was over reacting a little bit about that, because I'm hyper sensitive to oil and grease on my hands.
I purchased good 60/40 solder. Are the top brands really worth? Kester is much more expensive! Also difficult to know which type to get. There are so many variations :(
About the gloves and the lead. It was a misunderstanding. I don't care (too much) about the lead. The reason for the gloves was for avoiding the sticky oily flux in my hands. When it happened to me I thought this was a pretty common issue. But you say it should be not, and that there is normally no need to use flux anyway for typical THT stuff.
Ok, but in some cases you do use flux, right? Let's say to desolder a chip or a socket in an old and may be even rusty Atari. Still you don't get your hands oily? May be I was over reacting a little bit about that, because I'm hyper sensitive to oil and grease on my hands.
Ah, so there is an issue of the sticky fingers with some types of flux! :) That's why I was considering the gloves. Will get one of those magic pens. Thanks for the tip.exxos wrote: 29 Sep 2026 19:15 I've been mostly using circuitworks CW8300 flux pen simply because I'm getting tired of having sticky fingers with every other flux.
Seems very affordable. Will try one. Thanks for this tip as well.Badwolf wrote: 30 Sep 2026 14:09 I use a head-mounted loupe. Cheap and cheerful, preserves stereo vision and with interchangeable lenses to let you find what works.
Yeah. I read a lot about the heat transfer concept. But one thing is to understand it with your mind. Another is with your hands :)Steve wrote: 30 Sep 2026 14:30 The only thing I can add that others haven't already said, is understanding the concept of heat transfer.
I purchased a decent "generic" T12 station. I understand it's at the "mechanic" level or so, if you know the brand. I got it very cheap. Next step I need to decide if going to a better T12 like Quick or Ksger, or to a top brand.Maximilian wrote: 01 Oct 2026 01:35 Make sure you use a good soldering station, at least 65 watts for THC (Through Hole Components) from a reputable brand
I purchased good 60/40 solder. Are the top brands really worth? Kester is much more expensive! Also difficult to know which type to get. There are so many variations :(