Page 2 of 2
Re: Atari 65XE Bad GTIA chip
Posted: 06 Jun 2023 15:59
by rubber_jonnie
mgi wrote: 06 Jun 2023 15:56
This forum is the best - I have no question about it. In few minutes kind people offer to help!
Do you think which chip could still be used?
We try very hard to make it a friendly place, I'm glad you're finding it so.
Re: Atari 65XE Bad GTIA chip
Posted: 06 Jun 2023 16:00
by PhilC
mgi wrote: 06 Jun 2023 15:56
This forum is the best - I have no question about it. In few minutes kind people offer to help!
Do you think which chip could still be used?
I'll need to solder a couple of legs onto it and test it but I suspect so yes.
Failing that I likely have a spare 65XE board that works.
Re: Atari 65XE Bad GTIA chip
Posted: 06 Jun 2023 16:02
by mgi
PhilC wrote: 06 Jun 2023 16:00
mgi wrote: 06 Jun 2023 15:56
This forum is the best - I have no question about it. In few minutes kind people offer to help!
Do you think which chip could still be used?
I'll need to solder a couple of legs onto it and test it but I suspect so yes.
Failing that I likely have a spare 65XE board that works.
That would be great big thanks! I will be buying rounds on 8th of October - no question about it!
Re: Atari 65XE Bad GTIA chip
Posted: 06 Jun 2023 16:19
by PhilC
@mgi I had to repair one leg and it boots now.

- IMG_2711.jpeg (433.32 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
Re: Atari 65XE Bad GTIA chip
Posted: 06 Jun 2023 16:44
by mgi
Looks great! If someone wanted ever to test in Sysinfo is the option to check for 'Bad GTIA'.
This is how it should look like:

- IMG_1135.jpg (712.47 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
This is how it looks on mine:

- 0C8A7FEA-4451-47C1-A6A9-5F4F3A245171.jpg (189.66 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
Re: Atari 65XE Bad GTIA chip
Posted: 06 Jun 2023 17:00
by rubber_jonnie
Eeew, rubbish!
Re: Atari 65XE Bad GTIA chip
Posted: 06 Jun 2023 17:40
by mgi
It gets worse :)
I was testing on this demo
https://demozoo.org/productions/62247/? ... W8iffIYtxw
It should be like this:

- IMG_1127.jpg (553.89 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
And on my CRT looks like this:

- E0D5B684-47C3-41DE-9BCE-962E9E131D63.jpg (140.45 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
Re: Atari 65XE Bad GTIA chip
Posted: 06 Jun 2023 18:01
by PhilC
I know this GTIA boots, not sure about anything other than that