exxos blog - random goings on

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: exxos blog - random goings on

Post by exxos »

JezC wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:04 pm I've seen this as a screensaver somewhere...which kind of shows you how many people really feel about MS...I think many of us can see why Win10 should be the last OS they ever produce... :x
Its always the same , oddly when support date ends, things start crashing which have been working for years.. I'm not upgrading to 10, had enough of MS. All my software is old, frankly amazed win7 ran a lot of it..i've wrote loads on all this before anyway.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
JezC

Post by JezC »

Yes, I've kept most of my older systems & have an old laptop for Win 10 (plus the slightly newer one from work to use while working from home) as I don't want to break too many things at once.

Of course the farcical update situation is one reason why I'm happy to keep as much of the music & MIDI activities on the ST range - virtually no s/w updates & complete control of when any that are made available are put onto a system.

Control in the hands of the user, exactly where it belongs!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

JezC wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:14 pm virtually no s/w updates & complete control of when any that are made available are put onto a system.

Control in the hands of the user, exactly where it belongs!
Exactly. Your not going to wake up one morning to a alien "improved" desktop littered with adverts out of the blue one day.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
JezC

Post by JezC »

:thumbup:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I have everything from DOS to Win 10 at home. Whilst I'm not a massive fan of MS's upgrade policy, I've been able to happily settle on Win10 and rarely have any problems with it. My main laptop is Win10 and grunty, but only because I tinker around with 3d stuff and like a bit of power.

For work I have no option but Win 10.

I am probably a bit unusual in that I have a domain at home, which started out as a lab, but then became de-facto, though is still useful for lab stuff for work.I don't get adverts either, which is possibly a side effect of using a domain.

My workshop on the other hand has almost all Win7 because I have the licenses and the hardware is a bit old for Win10. I don't like to chuck away old machines, I usually find at some point I have a need for something obscure and they fit the bill.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

My motherboard is one of the last ones which actually had a floppy. I'd be surprised if win10 had drivers for it all and was stable. Girlfriend used to run XP on her laptop and went for win10.. Its hit and miss if it even loads. I left it for a hour once waiting for it to boot up.. Gave up. I've gone from DOS ,311,95,98,XP,7. But 10 just puts me off when you don't own the software anymore. Similar reason why I don't play games on steem much . game server goes offline, screw you basically. I only really play UT2004 with dawn. Own the software, direct IP. Not many games do that anymore as steem took over :(
JezC

Post by JezC »

I also have a collection of older machines from early DOS to Win10...

I think my favourite (least hated/despised) is XP for most things & then Win 7 (in that order because many older apps can be forced to run in XP but not all of them in Win 7)

Like @rubber_jonnie I have to use Win 10 for work but after discussions with my work colleagues we reckon that we have seen about 15% drop in productivity since moving from Win 7 to Win 10 and it's staying at about that level.
So, that equates to us needing effectively one extra man year of software engineering time per year to make up for the adoption of Win 10. :(

Maybe one day the Windows compatibility for Linux etc. will improve to the point where we can use that instead & regain the productivity lost... :roll:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:06 am I also have a collection of older machines from early DOS to Win10...

I think my favourite (least hated/despised) is XP for most things & then Win 7 (in that order because many older apps can be forced to run in XP but not all of them in Win 7)

Like @rubber_jonnie I have to use Win 10 for work but after discussions with my work colleagues we reckon that we have seen about 15% drop in productivity since moving from Win 7 to Win 10 and it's staying at about that level.
So, that equates to us needing effectively one extra man year of software engineering time per year to make up for the adoption of Win 10. :(

Maybe one day the Windows compatibility for Linux etc. will improve to the point where we can use that instead & regain the productivity lost... :roll:
Interesting points there @JezC.

Honestly I wouldn't say my productivity is less with Win 10, in fact it opens up some useful options at work, such as Teams, which the Win7 users don't get. Plus they have much older versions of office, whereas I have 365.

I'm very lucky for work, we have a quite specific task, for which we need lots of CPU (6 core Xeon 2.8Ghz with Hyperthreading) & lots of RAM (32GB), plus large fast SSDs(1TB). What really does my head in though is all the security software etc. Suddenly your fans go mental, and even my machine shows signs of a slowdown. You look at what is causing the problem, and there it is. Security software of some sort.

Where I work, security is key though, so there's no way around it. Luckily the machine has enough slack that it can cope, but anything less would be a problem.

I remain a big fan of Win7 & XP, they were great IMHO. I also have Win2000, and I do like that too.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:25 am
Honestly I wouldn't say my productivity is less with Win 10, in fact it opens up some useful options at work, such as Teams, which the Win7 users don't get. Plus they have much older versions of office, whereas I have 365.

I'm very lucky for work, we have a quite specific task, for which we need lots of CPU (6 core Xeon 2.8Ghz with Hyperthreading) & lots of RAM (32GB), plus large fast SSDs(1TB). What really does my head in though is all the security software etc. Suddenly your fans go mental, and even my machine shows signs of a slowdown. You look at what is causing the problem, and there it is. Security software of some sort.

Where I work, security is key though, so there's no way around it. Luckily the machine has enough slack that it can cope, but anything less would be a problem.
Yes, @rubber_jonnie it does have some positives as well...but my laptop here has a mechanical drive & starting up Win 10 on it maxes out the drive for several minutes - and it's pretty much the same on other systems without an SSD.
Our systems are not that capable & the security/antivirus etc. do slug them quite badly. :roll:

However, it's the updates that are the killer for us - not only the downtime for an actual upgrade (and usually several more on the next few reboots as they fix what the main update has broken) but we find that it often stops parts of the system (particularly USB for us) from working properly & so we try to diagnose a problem in our software only to find it's a pending reboot that is fouling things up.
So, then it's a matter of rebooting and installing the updates & then trying to get back to where you were in debugging/testing.
If that is under 30 minutes you're very lucky - it's usually the best part of an hour & often more until you are back where you were. :(

:threadjacked:
Anyway, I think we'd better leave this channel for the main man to document his woes & not pollute his blog any further - it probably justifies a thread all of it's own anyway! :D
derkom

Post by derkom »

exxos wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:59 am Similar reason why I don't play games on steem much . game server goes offline, screw you basically.
Not really. Steam has offline mode, which works just fine. You just obviously don't get Steam Cloud saves, updates, etc.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”