exxos blog - random goings on

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: exxos blog - random goings on

Post by exxos »

@JezC

Once we can get a faster 32MHz system, we will have 4 times the bandwidth to the shifter. So the bandwidth can be used to expand resolutions or bit planes for colours..

For example 320x200x16 could be come 640x400x16.

The Falcon is running a somewhat crippled 16MHz bus.. So this "Super ST" would likely run rings around the Falcon especially when we move over to a 020 CPU.

Moving the whole system to proper 32 bit would really be the icing on the cake.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
JezC

Post by JezC »

exxos wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:51 am @JezC

Once we can get a faster 32MHz system, we will have 4 times the bandwidth to the shifter. So the bandwidth can be used to expand resolutions or bit planes for colours..

For example 320x200x16 could be come 640x400x16.

The Falcon is running a somewhat crippled 16MHz bus.. So this "Super ST" would likely run rings around the Falcon especially when we move over to a 020 CPU.

Moving the whole system to proper 32 bit would really be the icing on the cake.
:thumbup:
@exxos Yes, that's the exciting part (and why I'd love it if I could afford a basic TT even) - I know how much faster the Falcon is (compared to a vanilla ST) anyway & the potential for the ST to equal & exceed that is music to my ears.

Does anybody have/know of a list of which music/MIDI packages work on what Atari h/w (accelerated or not)?
I'm sure that Notator Logic & Cubase 3 work on Falcons (probably & TTs etc.) but what about the other sequencers/editors etc?
If there isn't one, maybe we could/should start collecting the findings of all your forum members?

I'll definitely keep a few original spec systems (H4s and STs while they are still working) for any s/w that doesn't play nicely on newer/faster h/w!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

JezC wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:05 pm @exxos Yes, that's the exciting part (and why I'd love it if I could afford a basic TT even) - I know how much faster the Falcon is (compared to a vanilla ST) anyway & the potential for the ST to equal & exceed that is music to my ears.
The Falcon isn't that much faster than a ST.. I was excited to buy my Falcon originally in the 90s, but then was quickly disappointed on how slow it actually was :( and start ramping up screen resolutions and you might as well just forget it.

Don't get me wrong, the Falcon has some good features like the DSP which can play tracker tunes without CPU usage.. so does have some power under the hard... a ST would basically be crippled CPU wise in that respect. So if you want a Falcon, you would need the CT60 in it to get some proper CPU power out of it.

JezC wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:05 pm Does anybody have/know of a list of which music/MIDI packages work on what Atari h/w (accelerated or not)?
Probably a better idea to start a new topic about that :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
derkom

Post by derkom »

exxos wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:51 am So this "Super ST" would likely run rings around the Falcon especially when we move over to a 020 CPU.
I like your choice of words there. ;)
JezC

Post by JezC »

@exxos Yes, I will search for any info I can see & start a new thread (adds it to the ever bigger 'book of mental notes'... :lol: )

I know what you mean about the Falcon...but the boost is (just about) enough with many apps to avoid many of the slow-downs that the normal STs exhibit & even to run some of them in parallel. I bought a Nemesis for it but never quite had chance to fit it (and having heard many problems about systems with them fitted I've put it to one side for the forseeable).

Some of the improvement for me is also the greater memory capacity (if I used MROS or Softlink on an ST with 4Meg, I frequently ran low on memory but never had the same limitation after upgrading the Falcon to 14Meg)

Yes, increase the screen resolution (particularly in higher colour modes) & watch the responsiveness plummet - would love the boost a CT60 can provide but they're pretty rare (even compared to a Falcon) & out of my price range sadly.
They are on the list if I ever win the lottery though - believe it or not, that's lower down the list than some other items from your store (and some other vendors too - that might be including the right TF card for an ST or two at some point :ugeek: )!
JezC

Post by JezC »

derkom wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:37 pm
exxos wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:51 am So this "Super ST" would likely run rings around the Falcon especially when we move over to a 020 CPU.
@derkom I like the emphasis you've added too! :thumbup:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

derkom wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:37 pm
SEC booster wires up like a 020 pretty much ;) I am always planning multiple steps ahead ;)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

:sigh:

IMG_5094.JPG
IMG_5094.JPG (357.63 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Gotta love windoze. :sigh:
JezC

Post by JezC »

I've seen this as a screensaver somewhere...which kind of shows you how many people really feel about MS...I think many of us can see why Win10 should be the last OS they ever produce... :x

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”