exxos blog - random goings on

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: exxos blog - random goings on

Post by exxos »

Well this is again just typical of China suppliers...

Basically none of these chips I think are working... I tried some random ones out of the packet, the programmer just does not see them at all... And yes, I have tried a known working GAL, and the programmer works fine...

So basically have 100 chips of :shite: :shite: :shite:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (54.46 KiB) Viewed 3640 times

IMG_5083.JPG
IMG_5083.JPG (124.66 KiB) Viewed 3640 times
IMG_5084.JPG
IMG_5084.JPG (125.68 KiB) Viewed 3640 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

If you want a second check I can do that for you @exxos
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:01 pm If you want a second check I can do that for you @exxos
I will try a few more, at some point I will see if I can send you a couple to test but probably just not worth the hassle.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

ok, no worries, send them over when you send something else, so not to waste the postage etc.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

DoG wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:17 pm
PhilC wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:05 pm What's next to panic buy after the sockets have gone?
Probably DRAM chips, since he is stocking them up now. :D
Blitters to panic buy next ;)

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/#0002
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Oh, I hope there's still going to be blisters and sockets left by next months pay day. :excited: :excited: :excited: :dizzy:
JezC

Post by JezC »

exxos wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:10 am Blitters to panic buy next ;)

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/#0002
I bit the bullet and ordered one for one of my H4 builds the other week...will have to see if I can save enough to get one for #2 at some point (before the rest of the stock disappears)...otherwise it will be a matter of waiting for the FPGA version I guess... :roll:

Mind you, if the store is open all teh time, there are other iems with similar or lower stock levels that people can hoard as well/instead of (if that's your thing...says someone with over 20 ST's stores on top of shelves/wardrobes around the room :o )
:lol: :roll:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

JezC wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:50 am I bit the bullet and ordered one for one of my H4 builds the other week...will have to see if I can save enough to get one for #2 at some point (before the rest of the stock disappears)...otherwise it will be a matter of waiting for the FPGA version I guess... :roll:

I think I have one more tube of blitters.. But somewhat reluctant to sell them as once they are gone, that is it :(

The FPGA version, @Icky and I was a few months back copying the original blitter over on gate level, but with so many projects going on at the same time, it basically got put on hold. It is difficult to translate the old-style schematics over to more modern stuff. But also I was getting tempted of just optimising the logic as well, as a lot of time it was "why the hell did they do that when they could have just simply done this instead" ... But for the most part I'm trying to keep the logic as identical as possible, but a lot of changes get done because of we don't use differential logic any more in general.

Even so, now @Icky As the H4 FPGA adapter boards, we are going to simply try using the suska MMU,GLUE,BLITTER cores. In theory they should all play nice together in a stock system.It's not going to be fully compatible with a real ST anymore, but with it being firmware, that could still be developed at a later time.. Though really the project is there to try and build a stable 32MHz system.. I wrote epics on this in other threads before anyway.. Cycle accurate cores is pointless on the faster system anyway.

Again it is also partly why we paused work on the original BLITTER clone... In one respect it might not actually be needed as such... But aside from that, creating a FPGA board just for one chip (blitter), would not really be cost-effective.. So it is still in question if it is worth actually doing it or not.
JezC wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:50 am Mind you, if the store is open all the time, there are other iems with similar or lower stock levels that people can hoard as well/instead of (if that's your thing...says someone with over 20 ST's stores on top of shelves/wardrobes around the room :o )
:lol: :roll:
Is mostly the ST chipset which is a problem.. As soon as I put those chips in my store they sell... But with them only been obtainable from scrap motherboards, they are somewhat hard to come by.. BUT...

Because I have around 50 working motherboards,I am basically thinking of scrapping the entire lot for spares.. Seems just wrong to do that, but the boards themselves are just not worth spending the time on.. At best I could probably get £50 for a 70789, But I would have to test it out, and knowing how fragile these boards are, it probably would not work when he got to destination anyway... Or I can strip out the MMU,GLUE,SHIFTER and get £50.. not only that, I need a source for the cartridge connectors as well...

A lot of the general sockets and chips are still obtainable... And I have been slowly building up stocks of them in my store as time goes on.. I literally have a box full of chips I need to test... I'm just greatly lacking in time as always..
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Free 6 pack of toilet roll with every Gliiter/Blitter ordered. That might get the panic buying going....

Doubles up as packaging too, unlikely to get damaged with all that padding. Might get nicked though, people still need loo roll :)

Better count up how many Blitters I'm short so I can have a panic buy next payday. Gadget budget already spent this month :cry: :cry: :cry:
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

@rubber_jonnie Funnily enough, we now have shelves full of toilet rolls at the local supermarket :o ...but probably only because there is still a limit on how many people can buy at a time. :roll:

Might be one advantage of living in the 3rd world... :lol: :roll: :hide:

@exxos Yes, following the threads on future developments with great interest. I must admit that I'm in a similar quandary with my pile of ST's...there are still a few to diagnose/fix or recycle as a donor for H4 #2 but it's a wrench to sacrifice any of them if I can avoid it.

I'm still hoping you get time at some point for a "Super ST" - whatever shape that eventually takes - as I think some extra speed/memory/screen resolution for some of the MIDI apps I use would be fantastic.
I only have the one Falcon :( and can't afford another or a TT or MSTE so a souped-up ST of some kind would be a good partner for the Falcon. ;)

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”