exxos blog - random goings on

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
User avatar
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10863
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: exxos blog - random goings on

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:20 pm Next I need to try and work out where I got to with the RTC boards...
I thought you had a board designed and had some PCBs to make up?
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 24083
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: exxos blog - random goings on

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:28 pm I thought you had a board designed and had some PCBs to make up?
yes, I posted updating the other thread... https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 587#p22587

So far, I tried a couple new boards which did not work, so tried the original board with the smaller RTC board plugged in, that worked, so I tried a different chip in that board, and it did not work, so I put the working chip in one of the new boards I built today, did not work, so I put that chip back in the original one which worked, and it still does not work. :headbang: :cussing:

I cannot find the board I built up a few weeks ago, so I have not actually got a working board at the moment it seems :roll:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 24083
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: exxos blog - random goings on

Post by exxos »

So as usual, nothing is ever straightforward... with the RTC.. If I put my finger on certain PCB tracks on the PCB, the floppy drive either goes not, or it goes to desktop without showing the floppy icons :roll: so I think the RTC board some reason is loading the bus just enough for it to boot but but not run the RTC at all... So I will try adding some pullups on the board, but really I do not want to spend the next six weeks debugging the Atari motherboard's again over another stupid full :roll:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 24083
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: exxos blog - random goings on

Post by exxos »

The pull-up resistors solved the odd stability issue, but the RTC still isn't working :roll:

I found my initial test board, it was inside one of the 3-D cases I was printing :lol: :roll: got that in, and it works fine. I also found the original FMCII cartridge that also works fine.

So I took the chip out of my own board which I knew was working (the 3D case one) , and put the chip in one of my previous test boards ( the one iwth the smaller RTC board plugged in) , which was working earlier, and that did not work again with basically a known good chip.. I put the chip back in the other board which I had found just (the 3D case one) , and that one also stopped working also :cussing: :cussing:

The only thing I could possibly think which may have caused a issue was I forgot to take the battery out of the board before changing the chips. I wouldn't have thought that would have killed it, but other than placing the chip in a socket is somehow killing them, I really cannot think of any other way the chips are getting killed. :shrug:

So I will order some more chips, replace the chip in the test board which I was using for the 3-D case is, as I know that board should be okay, so changing the chip should make that work again... Then try another chip in the socket, and if that one dies, remove the socket and solder the chip direct to the board...

But if the chips are going to continuously get killed, I will probably just give up on the project, as these chips are like £14 a pop! And I've killed a handful of them already :cry:

EDIT: Thread carried on (and solved) over here https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =30#p22627
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 24083
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: exxos blog - random goings on

Post by exxos »

Audio jack holes are in the wrong place, but not important initially :)

Now to find my monitor...

1.jpg
1.jpg (100.04 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
User avatar
PhilC
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6049
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: exxos blog - random goings on

Post by PhilC »

Looking promising.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 24083
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: exxos blog - random goings on

Post by exxos »

1.jpg
1.jpg (61.91 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
IMG_4257.JPG
IMG_4257.JPG (85.51 KiB) Viewed 3742 times

MONO

IMG_4253.JPG
IMG_4253.JPG (90.29 KiB) Viewed 3742 times

COLOUR
IMG_4254.JPG
IMG_4254.JPG (65.87 KiB) Viewed 3742 times

COLOUR AFTER ADJUSTING THE IMPOSSIBLE TO ADJUST POTS

IMG_4256.JPG
IMG_4256.JPG (74.94 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
User avatar
PhilC
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6049
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: exxos blog - random goings on

Post by PhilC »

Looks great. Only suggestion I would make whilst seeing it in situ would be to change the jumper location to above the monitor socket perhaps?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 24083
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: exxos blog - random goings on

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:53 pm Looks great. Only suggestion I would make whilst seeing it in situ would be to change the jumper location to above the monitor socket perhaps?
Yeah, I was in two minds When designing it where to put it, but I went with compact on this version, but I might move it above like you say as it is a bit hard to get at where it is, but how often would people change it anyway..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
User avatar
PhilC
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6049
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: exxos blog - random goings on

Post by PhilC »

exxos wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:59 pm
PhilC wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:53 pm Looks great. Only suggestion I would make whilst seeing it in situ would be to change the jumper location to above the monitor socket perhaps?
Yeah, I was in two minds When designing it where to put it, but I went with compact on this version, but I might move it above like you say as it is a bit hard to get at where it is, but how often would people change it anyway..
mines stuck on colour mode all the time, so fair point.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Post Reply

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”